sacbee.com

Sacramento Kings star speaks out on roster changes, new offense, future

The Sacramento Kings introduce their 2025 NBA draft selections, Maxime Raynaud and Nique Clifford, during a news conference at Golden 1 Center on July 3, 2025. By Paul Kitagaki Jr.

Sacramento Kings center Domantas Sabonis sounded off on a number of topics amid a summer of change after holding his second annual youth basketball camp Sunday in Rocklin.

Sabonis talked about Scott Perry’s first moves as general manager, addressed the addition of point guard Dennis Schroder and revealed that coach Doug Christie is installing a new offense as the Kings prepare for the 2025-26 NBA season.

Sabonis also talked about establishing roots and building a future in Sacramento after the Kings acquired him in the February 2022 trade that sent Tyrese Haliburton to the Indiana Pacers.

“Ever since I got here, Sacramento has welcomed me and my family with open arms, and it’s just been a really cool ride,” Sabonis told reporters. “We want to stay here and keep building inside the community.”

Sabonis helped the Kings end the longest playoff drought in NBA history when they won 48 games to secure the No. 3 seed in the Western Conference in 2022-23. They failed to reach the playoffs after losing in the play-in tournament for the second year in a row last season.

The Kings have undergone major changes over the past year. They fired coach Mike Brown in December, traded De’Aaron Fox in February and hired Perry to replace former general manager Monte McNair in April. Sabonis, who has been involved in internal discussions regarding roster construction, hinted there could be additional changes before training camp begins Sept. 29.

“A lot has changed,” Sabonis said. “A lot’s probably still going to change, so we’re just going to wait and see till training camp.”

Sabonis said the Kings have given him a voice in the decision-making process as they look to retool an imbalanced roster under Perry’s direction.

“They listen to us,” Sabonis said. “They want to hear what we think. I think Scott’s done a great job so far, and I think he’s trying to turn things around just like everyone else.”

Sabonis said he was pleased with the addition of Schroder, a 31-year-old NBA veteran who gives the Kings a legitimate starting point guard following Fox’s departure.

“We didn’t have one, so now we have a starting-caliber point guard,” Sabonis said. “Dennis is very talented. He’s playing in the EuroBasket this summer, so we’ll see him later. He’ll come in shape and ready to go.”

Sabonis praised the additions of rookies Nique Clifford and Maxime Raynaud, who played well at the Last Vegas Summer League after being selected in June’s NBA draft. Sabonis also mentioned that he recently brought Raynaud and Isaac Jones to his home in Napa for offseason workouts.

“They performed at a high level,” Sabonis said. “I’ve had IJ and Maxime out in Napa for a week, and we’re just getting workouts together and trying to teach the young guys some things.”

Sabonis expressed his support for the decision to retain Christie, who went 27-24 as interim head coach after Brown was dismissed.

“Very excited, very happy for him,” said Sabonis, who has worked closely with Christie during the offseason since coming to Sacramento. “He was in there with me those three summers every day in the gym, so I’ve seen how hard he works every day. For him to have this opportunity, the fans love him, he’s one of us here, so I think it’s going to be very exciting.”

Sabonis was asked about meeting with Perry, who took over as the team’s general manager in April.

“It went well,” Sabonis said. “We’re very excited. I think we think alike, and we both want to get this thing running in the right direction, and his values are aligned with mine.”

Sabonis is optimistic about the offense Christie is implementing as the Kings prepare for their first full season since adding Zach LaVine to a group that also features Malik Monk, DeMar DeRozan and Keegan Murray.

“I think it’s going to help, (LaVine) coming in halfway through the season, also new coach, not the system the coach might want to play, players learning it,” Sabonis said. “So, hopefully this season, I know Doug’s working hard on the new system, how he wants to play us, and he’s going to translate it through training camp, and so far all summer we’ve been getting little bits and pieces of that new offense, so hopefully when training camp comes it’s smooth and we’re ready to go”

Sacramento Kings guard Zach LaVine (8) and center Domantas Sabonis (11) look on during the fourth quarter against the Golden State Warriors on Feb. 21, 2025, at Golden 1 Center. Sergio Estrada Imagn Images

Sabonis also had a message for Kings fans following a season of chaos and disappointment.

“Scott’s coming in here and trying to change things around in the right direction,” Sabonis said. “I feel like, what the fans want, what the fans believe in, to come out, play hard, run and be a gritty team, and so far we’re making the right moves. Everyone’s working hard in summer. It’s all going to come down to training camp and get together and make it work.”

Read full news in source page