Rasmus Hojlund has struggled to live up to his £72million fee since joining Manchester United in 2023, and the Red Devils were warned they were overpaying for the young Danish star
Rasmus Hojlund of Manchester United looks dejected during the Premier League match between Manchester United FC and Southampton
Rasmus Hojlund could be on the move this summer(Image: Getty)
Manchester United were warned about spending £72million on striker Rasmus Hojlund, who ultimately has struggled to ever find his footing at Old Trafford.
The recent acquisition of Benjamin Sesko from RB Leipzig in a deal worth up to £74m has now intensified competition for the young Danish forward. Despite previously expressing his determination to fight for his place at United, the 22-year-old now appears to be considering a change of heart over his future, with AC Milan reportedly showing interest.
United, crucially, could have avoided the costly misstep completely. The Telegraph reported earlier this year that United's financial modelling suggested that Hojlund, who was playing for Atalanta in Serie A at the time, was actually worth closer to £50m.
Despite this, United executives proceeded with the transfer in August 2023, with an additional £22m included in the overall fee than what their own valuation for the player had suggested. Since then, Hojlund's market value has plummeted.
The Danish international, who has netted 26 goals in 95 appearances for the club, is now estimated to be worth around £30m, reports the Mirror.
United's data team wasn't the only voice of caution regarding the signing of Hojlund. His former manager at Atalanta, Gian Piero Gasperini, also expressed concerns that the move to Old Trafford was premature for the young striker.
The current Roma boss played a crucial role in transforming Hojlund into a force during his time in Bergamo, where the striker scored 10 goals and registered four assists across 34 appearances. However, he expressed reservations about the move to Old Trafford.
CHICAGO, ILLINOIS - JULY 30: Rasmus Hojlund of Manchester United reacts during the Premier League Summer Series match between Manchester United and AFC Bournemouth at Soldier Field on July 30, 2025 in Chicago, Illinois. (Photo by Patrick McDermott/Getty Images)
AC Milan are interested in signing Rasmus Hojlund
"I think so (Hojlund should stay one more season)," the 67-year-old said at the time. "Then after that it's difficult. He undoubtedly has great talent, but also great room for improvement.
"These things are visible in both senses, he must work to improve because he has the characteristics to become one of the strongest strikers in the world."
Gasperini's reservations were mirrored by two leading scouts whilst former United manager Erik ten Hag pursued the player. One of which said: "He's still unproven and the Premier League is a very unforgiving place especially if you're in a Manchester United shirt.
"He's left-footed, strong and powerful so inevitably there will be some comparisons with [Erling] Haaland but he's not in his league. Haaland is a generational talent. Hojlund's stats don't come anywhere near Haaland and his finishing can be erratic."
Hojlund is only two years into a five-year deal at United, but the club decided earlier this year to cash in if they recruited a new centre-forward – something they have now done with Sesko.
United had hoped to offload Hojlund on a permanent deal this summer, but Milan are seeking to bring him on an initial loan to the San Siro.
Hojlund was an unused substitute in United's pre-season 1-1 draw with Fiorentina, which actually marked the first time he did not appear in any of United's five pre-season matches this summer.
Yet sources close to Hojlund felt he would have to leave United should they bolster their forward line with Sesko.
Ruben Amorim has also refused to give assurances that the player would stay, suggesting Hojlund's time at Old Trafford now looks to be coming to an end.