dailystar.co.uk

Liverpool parade suspect Paul Doyle faces more charges as dad appears in court

Paul Doyle, 53, is charged with seven offences in connection with the crash, which happened on Water Street in the city centre as thousands of fans were gathered for Liverpool FC's victory parade

10:25, 14 Aug 2025Updated 10:41, 14 Aug 2025

A police officer and inflatable field tent at the scene of a major incident in Water Street, Liverpool

A police officer and inflatable field tent at the scene of a major incident in Water Street, Liverpool(Image: PA Wire)

A dad accused of driving into a crowd at Liverpool's Premier League victory parade faces 24 further charges relating to the incident, a court has heard. Paul Doyle, 53, is charged with seven offences in connection with the crash, which happened on Water Street in the city centre as thousands of fans were gathered for the Reds' title celebrations just after 6pm on May 26.

He is accused of the unlawful wounding with intent of Simon Nash, 52, causing grievous bodily harm (GBH) with intent to Susan Passey, 77, and Christine Seeckts, 66, and the attempted GBH of Ethan Gillard, 18.

He was also charged with another count of wounding with intent and a second count of attempted GBH, which both relate to children, for whom reporting restrictions remain in place. Doyle is also charged with dangerous driving.

On Thursday, Liverpool Crown Court was told he faces a new indictment which has been put by the prosecution this week.

Paul Doyle, 53, has been charged with seven offences related to the crash

Paul Doyle, 53, has been charged with seven offences related to the crash

Six of the new offences relate to children, including one six-month-old and one seven-month-old, Liverpool Crown Court was told at a hearing on Thursday. Doyle was in tears as he appeared over video link from prison.

Article continues below

Defence barrister Simon Csoka KC said: "He has only become aware of the indictment this morning. It is my application to adjourn the arraignment from today so that he can at least read the indictment and see the witness statements. There are obviously a considerable number of counts.”

The Honorary Recorder of Liverpool Judge Andrew Menary KC said he would adjourn the plea and trial preparation hearing to allow time for the charges to be discussed.

He told Mr Csoka: "These are serious matters. They’re not uncomplicated. There are practical difficulties. I’ll adjourn this plea and trial preparation for a short time. I’m talking perhaps a couple of weeks, not much more than that, to a date convenient for you and Mr Greaney.

“I’m willing to have the matter listed in the context of this case for the defendant to be produced and you and your solicitors to have a meaningful conference with him.”

The incident devastated Liverpool and the UK

The incident devastated Liverpool and the UK(Image: Phil Bryan/Shutterstock)

Judge Menary added: “I am going to adjourn this matter to the 4th of September. The purpose of that is to allow you to have sufficient time with the now new indictment. On that date, you can enter pleas to the indictment. You must remain in custody in the meantime.”

Doyle is alleged to have driven his Ford Galaxy Titanium dangerously on roads between his home address in Burghill Road and Water Street. A trial date has already been fixed for November 24 and Doyle was remanded in custody ahead of a plea hearing on August 14.

A previous hearing was told a trial could last three to four weeks. Philip Astbury, prosecuting, previously told the court: "This is very much an ongoing investigation. Many witnesses are still to be interviewed and a great deal of CCTV still to be analysed."

The incident happened just moments after Arne Slot’s team had paraded the Premier League trophy on an open-top bus.

Article continues below

The car allegedly tailgated an ambulance - as it went to treat a fan suffering a heart attack - through a roadblock and struck supporters leaving many injured.

Married dad-of-three and businessman Doyle, from the West Derby area of the city, remains in custody. He will next appear in court on September 4.

For the latest breaking news and stories from across the globe from the Daily Star, sign up for our newsletter by clicking here .

Read full news in source page