Leeds United have signed the experienced striker.placeholder image
Leeds United have signed the experienced striker. | Getty Images
The former Everton striker has secured a move to a new Premier League club ahead of the 2025/26 campaign.
The Hammers have been in the market for additional firepower in the window, having struggled in front of goal last season. The £27 million invested in former Borussia Dortmund man Niclas Fullkrug did not reap rewards due to injury with an emergency loan move from Brighton star Evan Ferguson in January not bearing fruit either.
Calvert-Lewin had emerged as a prime target for West Ham manager Graham Potter, after he left Everton as a free agent following a nine-year stay. CaughtOffside this week had claimed that the Hammers had shown ‘determination’ to sign the 28-year-old, alongside Newcastle United and Manchester United.
West Ham beaten to Dominic Calvert-Lewin transfer
It is, however, newly promoted Leeds United who have won the transfer race. In a statement released on Friday, ahead of the Premier League’s return, the club said: “Leeds United are delighted to announce the signing of Dominic Calvert-Lewin who joins the club after departing fellow Premier League side Everton earlier this summer, upon the expiration of his contract.
“The England international has put pen to paper on a three-year deal, committing his future at Elland Road until 2028. The attacker arrives with vast amounts of experience at the top-level having scored 57 goals in 239 Premier League appearances, regularly leading the forward line in the most competitive league in the world.”
West Ham have already bolstered their options up top with the arrival of Callum Wilson. The former Newcastle United striker quit St James’ Park as a free agent this summer in search of greater game time, however it remains to be seen if he can stay injury free at the London Stadium.
Ex Everton striker labelled ‘excellent’ by Sean Dyche
Fitness has also proven an issue for Calvert-Lewin in recent times, which is something that may have had West Ham cautious over a move. The striker is a player well known to West Ham fans, having somewhat terrorised the club in the past. The forward has lost five of his 13 matches against the Hammers but, when he scores, it tends to be crucial.
The striker has six goals against West Ham. Two of those were winners in Premier League matches with another one an equalising goal, stealing a total of seven league points from the London outfit. He also scored a hat-trick against the Hammers to knock them out of the Carabao Cup in the 2020/21 season.
Despite his injuries, Calvert-Lewin did impress at times last season. He was crucial as Everton beat Liverpool 2-0 at Goodison Park and was hailed as ‘outstanding’ by former Toffees boss Sean Dyche. The manager said: "I said to him after the match, 'That is the sort of performance that gets you back around the England squad'.
“It is too early yet and I am not making any bold statement because Gareth Southgate has a lot of players to choose from, but certainly with that kind of performance he should be recognised as a top centre forward.
"I thought he was excellent. He's had a bit of illness. We're hopeful that has passed, he had it before the game, so I must commend him on that. His physical performance was outstanding, He's not quite over it but we hope it settles down a bit.”
In other news, West Ham 'tracking' prolific 30-goal striker who once terrorised Man United.
Continue Reading