liverpoolecho.co.uk

Premier League confirms why Liverpool game was halted after Antoine Semenyo racist abuse report

The Premier League opener between Liverpool and Bournemouth was stopped in the first half

LIVERPOOL, ENGLAND - AUGUST 15: Referee Anthony Taylor speaks with both managers, Arne Slot manager / head coach of Liverpool and Andoni Iraola the head coach / manager of Bournemouth as Antoine Semenyo of Bournemouth reports racist abuse from a fan during the Premier League match between Liverpool and Bournemouth at Anfield on August 15, 2025 in Liverpool, England. (Photo by Robbie Jay Barratt - AMA/Getty Images)

Referee Anthony Taylor speaks with both managers, Arne Slot and Andoni Iraola, after Antoine Semenyo reported racist abuse from a member of the crowd

The Premier League have confirmed that play was halted in Liverpool’s Premier League opener against Bournemouth following a report of discriminatory abuse against Antoine Semenyo from the crowd. The scores were level at 0-0 when referee Anthony Taylor temporarily stopped play on the half-hour mark and approached head coaches Arne Slot and Andoni Iraola.

While the reason for the stoppage was unclear at the time, it later emerged that Bournemouth forward Semenyo had brought the incident to Taylor’s attention.

Sky Sports commentator Peter Drury would later reveal that the reason for the pause in play was due to alleged racist comment from the crowd.

"I am told, via the Premier League Match Centre, Antoine Semenyo was subject to a racist comment from a member of the crowd,” Drury revealed. “What I can tell you is that it was Semenyo who brought it to the referee's attention himself."

The Premier League Match Centre would later verify the reason for the pause in play themselves on social media, confirming that there had been a report of discriminatory abuse from the crowd against Semenyo, with Taylor then following on-field protocol.

They also confirmed that the incident will be fully investigated as they offered their full support to Semenyo and both clubs.

Posting on Twitter, the Premier League Match Centre said: “Tonight's match between Liverpool Football Club and AFC Bournemouth was temporarily paused during the first half after a report of discriminatory abuse from the crowd, directed at Bournemouth's Antoine Semenyo.

“This is in line with the Premier League's on-field anti-discrimination protocol.

“The incident at Anfield will now be fully investigated. We offer our full support to the player and both clubs. Racism has no place in our game, or anywhere in society.

“We will continue to work with stakeholders and authorities to ensure our stadiums are an inclusive and welcoming environment for all.”

Read full news in source page