Liverpool are yet to return for Newcastle United star Alexander Isak but that could yet change.
Indeed, Liverpool had an offer rejected by Newcastle for Isak but the player remains keen to leave St James’ Park this summer.
Despite initially suggesting they were prepared to abandon their attempts to land the striker, Liverpool could make another bid for Isak.
Newcastle insist Isak isn’t for sale but it would be fascinating to see if they were to soften in that stance should they land Brentford’s Yoane Wissa.
That would give Eddie Howe at least one striker, which could theoretically mean the stance on Isak softens. There’s no suggestion that will happen of course, but it is perhaps something to consider.
Either way, Liverpool will need to increase their opening bid if they are to convince Newcastle into selling Isak – regardless of what happens on the incomings front.
Sky Sports reporter Keith Downie has shared the latest.
Alexander Isak celebrates after scoring in a Premier League game between Newcastle United and Arsenal.
Photo by Stu Forster/Getty Images
Newcastle United could ‘listen’ to £125m offer for Alexander Isak
Newcastle value Isak at around £150million and for good reason. He’s got three years left on his contract and is undoubtedly one of the best strikers in the world.
MORE NEWCASTLE STORIES
Luke Edwards of The Daily Telegraph has previously suggested that Liverpool are unwilling to meet Newcastle’s valuation of Isak, and that the player’s agent was convinced a move could happen for below that price tag if the striker forced a move.
Speaking on a video posted on YouTube, Downie said: “I would expect them to come back in with another bid.
“I think Newcastle are braced for that and then they’ll have to make a decision on what they want to do.
“I guess it depends how big the bid is. There’s no point in wasting their time with another £110-£115million bid.
“For me, it needs to be at least £125million for Newcastle to sit up and listen.”
Eddie Howe confirms Alexander Isak will make Newcastle United decision
Isak is desperate to leave Newcastle but, so far at least, he hasn’t got his wish.
Right now, however, it seems he simply does not want to play for the club even if they do not sell him.
Has Eddie Howe asked Isak to play tomorrow?
“I want him to play and I’ve had those conversations. But the details need to remain private.”
Is there a way back for him at #NUFC?
“Yes I believe so. But discussions and talks would have to take place for that to… pic.twitter.com/QqaxUgBEBg
— Keith Downie (@SkySports_Keith) August 15, 2025
View Tweet
Again, that’s a stance that may change. It’s incredibly difficult to imagine a player that good turning down the chance to play elite level football in a World Cup year.
It’s certainly not impossible to imagine Isak staying.
Speaking ahead of Newcastle’s Premier League opener on Saturday, Howe was asked about the prospect of Isak playing for the club again.
“No door is closed. Alex will dictate what happens and we will facilitate,” he said.
“But that’s for another day.”