Eddie Howe has overseen a summer of change at St James' Park with bold Newcastle United exits and shrewd incomings
Aaron Stokes is our Newcastle United Editor. Born and bred in the north-east, Aaron left Newcastle in 2017 to work in London for Reach PLC's national titles. After five years in the capital, he returned to take up his current role at The Chronicle in March 2022.
Newcastle United Head Coach Eddie Howe during a pre-season friendly
Newcastle United Head Coach Eddie Howe during a pre-season friendly(Image: Photo by Serena Taylor/Newcastle United via Getty Images)
It may not feel like it but Newcastle United have actually lost a combined 446 Premier League appearances from their first-team squad this summer.
Sean Longstaff, Martin Dubravka and Callum Wilson may not have commanded too many top flight minutes of late but there is no denying a wealth of St James' Park experience and know-how has been stripped out of Eddie Howe's dressing room in recent months.
It is a change in tack from the Newcastle boss, who has previously sought to avoid wholesale changes across a single summer window, instead opting for a slow, methodical overhaul of his United squad since taking over close to four years ago.
The likes of Jamaal Lascelles, Matt Targett, Mark Gillespie, Emil Krafth and John Ruddy could all have feasibly been moved on given their declining first-team minutes but all remain, offering support behind the scenes, while filling in among the senior side as and when required.
Incoming wise, despite a turbulent summer, United have got their act together when it comes to bringing in solid, experienced names in recent weeks.
Anthony Elanga can upgrade Newcastle's attack, Aaron Ramsdale will provide competition for Nick Pope, Malick Thiaw is the long-term defensive target Howe has admired across and Jacob Ramsey offers versatility and depth in a key area of the pitch.
As such, the overwhelming feeling on Tyneside is that United are on the cusp of a strong summer of business, with Howe believing it is the right time to welcome a batch of fresh faces to his to Newcastle revolution.
"Yeah, we're certainly gonna miss all those players you mentioned [Wilson, Longstaff and Dubravka]," he told reporters on Friday.
"I mean it's a shame that I haven't been able to talk about them more in depth. Outstanding people, outstanding players that gave a lot to the football club. They leave with our full respect.
"All of them contributed greatly to the success we've had in the last three and a half years and before I arrived. They all left with their heads held high and we really wish them well in the next stage of their careers.
"For us, we will miss their experience, we will miss their contribution, but it's time then to welcome new players to the group. To see how new players can develop their careers here and what they can give to the team - so that change is a natural cycle in a football team.
"It has to happen. I've said many times sat here with PSR that we weren't able to recruit so we became, to a degree stagnant, and fresh energy and fresh impetus is sometimes what football team needs to evolve.
"I've got no problem with that either. So yeah, I'm excited by what the new team can look like."
Newcastle United news straight to your phone on WhatsApp
The new Premier League season is here and it's set to be another big one for Newcastle United. Eddie Howe's men face a Champions League challenge as well as domestic competitions - and you can get live updates every step of the way.
It's quick and easy to join. Just click this link and select 'Join Community' to get started.
Plus you can follow our new Newcastle United channel right here - just follow this link
Your informational will be hidden, you'll only ever receive messages from the Chronicle Live sports team, and you can leave any time you like. For more information, click here. You can read our Privacy Notice here.