leedsallover.com

Lao Leeds United roundup: Everton team news, Farke wants more than Dcl, Justin deal close

Leeds United’s Premier League season kicks off in a matter of days at home to Everton, and we’ve heard from Daniel Farke for the first time this season.

United’s return to the top flight sees them take on an Everton side embarking on an exciting new era, with Elland Road the setting under the floodlights.

For Daniel Farke, he’ll be hoping to showcase his credentials to manage in the division after two failed attempts with Norwich City, having had plenty of backing already and more to come in LS11.

Most Read on LeedsAllOver

Here, we round up all the latest news from Elland Road as the Premier League campaign nears for United…

Leeds United and Everton team news confirmed ahead of Monday

Ahead of Monday’s meeting, Farke confirmed his team news for the match in which there’s relatively positive news on Jayden Bogle, who returned to full team training on Friday.

He will require late examinations before Farke decides to include him in the squad, while Sebastiaan Bornauw seemingly remains out after his muscle injury during pre-season – fellow centre-back Jaka Bijol is suspended after a Serie A red card frustratingly carried over to the Premier League.

(REUTERS/Lee Smith)

Calvert-Lewin should be eligible to play his former club, but his lack of pre-season minutes means he’s likely to miss out.

As for Everton, the most notable absentee is star centre-back Jarrad Branthwaite, whose hamstring injury rules him out on Monday.

Vitalii Mykolenko, Harrison Amstrong and Nathan Patterson all missed out against Roma in their final friendly, but could be in line to return at Elland Road.

Dominic Calvert-Lewin free transfer to Leeds United confirmed

As has been heavily reported this week, Dominic Calvert-Lewin’s free transfer to Leeds was confirmed on Friday.

Daniel Farke said this during his press conference just before he was announced as a new signign (via the YEP):

“He will support us and from this afternoon will be a member of our squad. We are all delighted that Dominic will wear a Leeds shirt,” Farke said.

“Dominic is a proven Premier League player. Its important for all new signings, we want to sign players who have delivered on a top level, but they are also in a good age, on their way up the hill, not the way down. These boxes are all ticked by Dominic.

“He’s in a really good age, proven at Premier League level with more than 200 games and 60 goals. In 11 appearances for the England team, scored four goals. We don’t have to speak about his qualities. He has all the skills you’d like your striker to have.”

James Justin advancing towards Leeds United move from Leicester City

Another signing Leeds look to be advancing towards is Leicester City full-back James Justin, as reported also on Friday.

(Action Images via Reuters/Lee Smith)

The Foxes defender can play both left and right-back, captaining Marti Cifuentes’ side to a winning start on their return to the Championship last weekend.

Justin is in the final year of his Leicester contract.

Could Isaac Schmidt be set to leave Leeds United after James Justin deal?

As a result of Justin’s possible arrival at Leeds, Isaac Schmidt could leave.

The Swiss full-back has made it clear that he wants more game time than he’s getting at Elland Road, and agreed personal terms to join Werder Bremen earlier in the summer.

That loan deal with the Bundesliga side was contingent on Leeds sourcing a full-back signing first before letting him leave – with a deal for Justin now progressing, Schmidt could be packing his bags soon.

Will Leeds United push towards more attacker signings after DCL?

Calvert-Lewin adds more firepower to Leeds’ attack, but leaves Farke still wanting more in the final third, both in terms of supporting options, and potentially even another striker.

“With Dominic it’s the first step, an important step, but there is still business to be done,” Farke continued. “Dominic can’t be the only step. We are on a good path, prepared for the first games and I hope when the transfer window is over we have a squad who is capable of fighting for being the first team who breaks this curse because we have one clear target to stay in this league.

“Competition is important of course, we have three proper striker options and young Harry Gray who needs a bit of time but he’s involved in training. I wouldn’t rule out another striker signing because you always have to be awake until the last second if there is an opportunity. There are a few doubts due to the injury records of Dominic and Lukas (Nmecha).”

Read full news in source page