A fresh name has emerged in the Alexander Isak transfer saga at Newcastle United.
Newcastle United have reportedly shortlisted Paris Saint-Germain striker Goncalo Ramos as a possible Alexander Isak replacement.
With each passing day, the prospect of the Swede being forced to stay on Tyneside grows. Isak has downed tools at Newcastle - much to the fury of supporters - and will play no part in today’s Premier League opener.
The 25-year-old bailed on the club’s pre-season preparations and has been training alone after making his desire to leave clear. Liverpool have already seen one offer- worth around £110million - rejected a fortnight ago.
Eddie Howe grilled about Alexander Isak
As expected, Eddie Howe faced a barrage of questions on Isak’s situation ahead of the Aston Villa clash. However, there has been little change since the Sela Cup double-header last weekend.
"Alex's situation has been unchanged for a while, and that will continue to be the case,” he told reporters. “I've had a great relationship with Alex. You need that with every player. I take my part in that relationship really importantly.
“I have to work really closely with the player to his benefit. There has been no change, all my focus has been on training and Villa and the transfer front."
Goncalo Ramos links emerge
Isak would likely no longer be a Newcastle player if Benjamin Sesko joined last week. Manchester United ultimately won the race to deal a hammer blow to the Swede’s hopes.
Toon chiefs - who hold the cards given his contract length - are unwilling to let Isak leave without a suitable replacement. The Daily Mail has now listed PSG sensation Ramos as a serious target.
He has 34 goals in as many starts for the Parisians since joining the club two years ago. Newcastle liked Ramos before he arrived in France, with the player scoring in a pre-season friendly against Howe’s side for Benfica a year earlier.
Various sources suggest a deal could be done for around £50million. As per the Daily Mail report, PSG would only be open to a permanent switch.
Read More
Goncalo Ramos on future
Ramos netted a last-gasp equaliser to rescue PSG in the UEFA Super Cup against Tottenham Hotspur on Wednesday. Speaking post-match, the Portuguese forward gave an ambiguous response when asked about his future.
"It's great for Chevalier, it's great for Zabarnyi to see from the first match that we are here to win at PSG,” he said. “And me? I have the same outlook as always, I'm ready to be there when the team needs me. If I'm given the ball like that, I'll always score. If I stay? Yes."
Continue Reading