Newcastle United are battling away to sign Brentford star Yoane Wissa after weeks of negotiations
Newcastle United could be about to reach a breakthrough for Yoane Wissa of Brentford. (Photo by Shaun Botterill/Getty Images)
Newcastle United are still keen on Brentford star Yoane Wissa with Eddie Howe seeing the DR Congo star as an ideal replacement for departing Callum Wilson.
Wilson has signed for West Ham leaving Howe lacking experienced cover for either Alexander Isak or any new big-name replacement.
Wissa was pulled out of the Bees squad to face Nottingham Forest on Sunday but Keith Andrews, his new boss, wants him to remain in West London.
However, Newcastle sources have indicated that the Bees want a fee closer to £40m for his signature with one suggestion from the capital this weekend claiming a £35m plus £5m add on installment could be required to get talks moving again.
Content Image
Content Image
When asked about progress in the striker hunt, with Alexander Isak's saga muddying the waters, Howe said on Friday: "It has not limited us in terms of what we are trying to do. We have been looking to sign a striker all summer.
"We lost Callum Wilson at the end of last year, so a striker was a necessity for us all through the window, and that has not changed.
"We are still in that position. For loads of different reasons, we have not been able to sign one (a striker). But we still have time."
Kieran Trippier remains focused despite talk of late August exit
The former England full-back was linked with Monaco this week as he enters the final year of his contract at St James' Park.
The 34-year-old Bury lad is ideally looking for a two-year contract with no guarantees at St James' Park on an extension, as Wilson found out last season.
The chance to land a deal in the tax free haven of Monaco could be tempting for Trippier but he has been a key man behind the scenes this week in the build-up to Aston Villa and Howe is not keen on losing him.
Newcastle have that golden touch in the Carabao Cup - here's why
A special perk is in store for the Magpies as they begin their defence of the Carabao Cup later this autumn.
Newcastle will enter in round three this term after qualifying for the Champions League but as holders they will enjoy a new feature from the EFL.
EFL chiefs said this week: "The EFL has revealed a special update to the competition's sleeve badges designed to honour the history of the Cup and recognise Newcastle United’s historic triumph last season.
"To mark 65 years of the iconic competition, both the current holders and all previous Cup winners will have the opportunity to wear commemorative Carabao Cup sleeve badges in celebration of their success.
"The new sleeve badges, in Carabao’s familiar green, will now include a nod to the number of times each Club has won the competition.
"The 2025 winners, Newcastle United, who join the competition in Round Three, will also wear the very first Carabao Cup gold badge, featuring the number one, to mark their victory in the 2024/25 Carabao Cup, which was their first win in the competition and first domestic trophy in 70 years."