After Liverpool’s 4-2 win over Bournemouth on Friday, it’s clear that there are still a couple of areas within Arne Slot’s ranks that could do with upgrading.
Indeed, this is only the team’s second competitive game together after a summer of change, but even so, you’d have expected them to easily walk away with the win.
Bournemouth have also undergone a lot of change, with three of their main defenders being transferred away from them this summer.
Arne Slot being interviewed on the touchline before Liverpool's pre-season match against Yokohama F. Marinos.
Photo by Andrew Powell/Liverpool FC via Getty Images
Thankfully for Liverpool, there are still over two weeks left in the summer transfer window for additions to be made, with Alexander Isak’s potential transfer still being thrown into the ring.
Andy Carroll believes it’s a “shame” how Alexander Isak has handled things this summer
One of Liverpool’s main targets this summer has been Isak.
The Reds have had a £110million bid for the Sweden international rejected, and since then, the striker has done everything in his power to force a move to Anfield.
However, after the performance Hugo Ekitike put in against the Cherries on Friday, it’s unclear whether Liverpool actually need to bring in another number nine.
And, while speaking on Sky Sports, Andy Carroll gave his thoughts on how Isak has handled the saga this summer.
MORE LIVERPOOL STORIES
“The way he’s playing his cards at the minute, the Newcastle fans are not going to back him, he’s not going to help himself,” Carroll said.
“Which is a shame really because he’s such a good player and every Newcastle fan wants him to stay, the manager wants him to stay, and it’s just a shame really that’s how he’s acting.”
"I didn't want to leave Newcastle, Isak's not from Newcastle and can think how he's acting is acceptable"
Andy Carroll says "it's a shame" how Alexander Isak is behaving at the moment ⚫⚪ pic.twitter.com/vRxMYgeOle
— Sky Sports News (@SkySportsNews) August 15, 2025
View Tweet
Liverpool have just over two weeks to get their final signings over the line
One of the main things that could affect Liverpool’s chances of winning all the trophies possible this season is how long it could take for their squad to gel.
There has been a massive overhaul at Anfield over the last couple of months, with the Reds’ South American group taking a particularly strong hit.
Indeed, Alexis Mac Allister and Alisson are still around and plying their trade for Liverpool, but since both Darwin Nunez and Luis Diaz are no longer at the club, a massive chunk of the Reds’ core has been taken out.
It’s clear that with Liverpool only having four senior attackers available to them, one or two new forwards still need to be brought in.
Arne Slot, Manager of Liverpool, reacts during the first pre-season friendly match between Liverpool and Athletic Club Bilbao at Anfield.
Photo by Liverpool FC/Liverpool FC via Getty Images
As mentioned, Isak has been heavily linked with a Liverpool transfer, but at the moment, it’s anyone’s guess what could happen.
But, here’s hoping that Slot and Richard Hughes can pull off another couple of deals and perhaps bolster the Reds’ chances of domination even more.