geordiebootboys.com

'I think': Eddie Howe reacts as Newcastle fans aim chants towards Alexander Isak

Eddie Howe has given his view on chants towards Alexander Isak from sections of the Newcastle United support.

Newcastle fans aimed negative chants towards Isak after the striker missed the 0-0 draw at Aston Villa in their first game of the Premier League season.

The Sweden international is keen to leave Newcastle this summer amid interest from Liverpool but, so far at least, the club have refused to cave in to his demands.

It is an ugly situation on Tyneside. Isak is one of the best forwards in world football but is not available despite being fully fit.

Isak is reportedly set for a huge fine from Newcastle for missing the Villa game and supporters clearly are not happy about the situation.

Howe was asked about the chants after the game and gave a rather brilliant response.

Eddie Howe and Jason Tindall leave the pitch after Newcastle United draw 0-0 with Aston Villa in the Premier League.

Photo by Neal Simpson/Sportsphoto/Allstar via Getty Images

Eddie Howe says Newcastle United fans “free” to chant about Alexander Isak

The Newcastle United manager talked of fans being well within their rights to vent their frustration.

Newcastle have felt bruised over the Isak saga and supporters will surely have felt let down.

MORE NEWCASTLE STORIES

Rather than giving a diplomatic answer, Howe said: “Whatever happens, I think the support has acted really well today because they supported the team.

“Not everything has been plain sailing but they’ve always been with the team. And then if afterwards they want to say something, I think they’re very free to do that.”

Eddie Howe on Alexander Isak chants at FT:

“Whatever happens, I think the support has acted really well today because they supported the team…

“Not everything has been plain sailing but they've always been with the team. And then if afterwards they want to say something, I… pic.twitter.com/7TkjPnO8vg

— Jordan Cronin (@jordancronin_) August 16, 2025

View Tweet

Alexander Isak can still “resolve” Newcastle United future

It’s getting increasingly difficult to see a way in which Isak returns to the fold now. Supporters seem to have turned on him, which is understandable.

Still, Howe stressed that the decision is in Isak’s hands now.

Newcastle do not want to sell Isak and the player himself is – in Howe’s words – the only one who can “resolve” the situation.

Eddie Howe on Alexander Isak future:

“The door is well and truly open, but he (Isak) needs to decide what he wants to do.

“We’d like a resolution, we need that clarity. I’m not in control of it, but only one person is. I’ve made my stance pretty clear.”#NUFC pic.twitter.com/AW85cpr16e

— Keith Downie (@SkySports_Keith) August 16, 2025

View Tweet

“The door is well and truly open, but he (Isak) needs to decide what he wants to do,” he said.

“We’d like a resolution, we need that clarity. I’m not in control of it, but only one person is. I’ve made my stance pretty clear.”

It’s desperately disappointing to see how it has unfolded. It surely did not have to be like this.

If Isak does end up staying at the club for another season at least, smoothing things over will be a huge test of Howe’s man management.

Read full news in source page