liverpoolecho.co.uk

How Leeds United are preparing for Everton as transfer message sent after Dominic Calver-Lewin…

Leeds United welcome Everton to Elland Road on Monday night

Leeds United's manager Daniel Farke

Leeds United's manager Daniel Farke(Image: Neal Simpson/Sportsphoto/Allstar via Getty Images)

Everton must wait until Monday night to kick-off their new Premier League campaign. The Blues make the trip to Elland Road to take on newly-promoted Leeds United.

Everton head into the season looking to build upon last season's progress under David Moyes. The club enjoyed an impressive run of results after the 62-year-old returned to the club in January, eventually finishing 23 points clear of the bottom three.

But in the shape of Leeds on Monday night, the Blues will be taking on a side who will be keen to give their fans something to shout about.

And Whites boss Daniel Farke has revealed how his side would be spending the weekend ahead of the big kick-off.

"Working, to be honest," he said. "So we have to prepare, of course, the group for an important opener for us.

"And yes, we will spend lots of time on the training ground and prepare for it. So it's also good and beneficial right now.

"Also to have a few more time and sessions on the training pitch. And for that, we stay concentrated and focused.

"And whenever there is a bit of time, we have also one eye on all the other games to watch a few results and a few performances. But we're mainly concentrated on ourselves."

Before he added: "Our mindset will be to win games of football and be the better side. On Monday, we want to be there with the best possible result.

"We are respectful. We know how difficult it will be. Everton are a good side and they had a really good second half of the season."

Leeds will be boosted by the arrival of ex-Everton forward Dominic Calvert-Lewin, who joined the club on Friday.

Calvert-Lewin, who left the Blues earlier this summer following the expiry of his contract, has put pen-to-paper on a three-year deal at Elland Road.

Content Image

Content Image

But Farke has claimed Leeds's hierarchy remains committed to further strengthening his squad before the transfer window closes.

He said: "I like to speak openly and honestly about our status and I've given praise to our key people so far. We're on a really good path.

"We've done lots in central defence, central midfield and the goalkeeping position, also the full-back position.

"I've also made it clear we need to strengthen our squad, perhaps one more full-back, and especially the offence. With Dominic, it's a first step, an important step for us, of course. But there is still business to be done.

"Dominic is a proven Premier League player. It's important for all new signings, we want to sign players who have delivered on a top level, but they are also in a good age, on their way up the hill, not the way down.

"These boxes are all ticked by Dominic. He is in a really good age, proven at Premier League level, with more than 200 games and 60 goals.

"We don't have to speak about his qualities. He has all the skills you'd like your striker to have. His last few seasons were a bit interrupted by injury, but he still managed to play 26 games last season.

"It's a chance for him to revive his career and reach former heights when he was outstanding at Premier League level."

Read full news in source page