manchesterworld.uk

Man Utd consider stunning swap deal to sign former Chelsea target with £38m man leaving Old Trafford

Manchester United manager Ruben Amorim.placeholder image

Manchester United manager Ruben Amorim. | Getty Images

Manchester United are still keen to sign a goalkeeper and a new midfielder before the September 1 transfer deadline

Manchester United kick off their 2025-26 Premier League campaign on Sunday afternoon as they host Arsenal at Old Trafford.

The clash with their old rivals will provide a good test for how much Ruben Amorim’s side have progressed during pre-season. Mikel Arteta’s side are hoping to be among the title contenders again after finishing second in each of their last three campaigns.

United have made some impressive additions to their attack in the form of Bryan Mbeumo, Matheus Cunha and Benjamin Sesko. They are still keen to add a new goalkeeper and midfielder before the window closes but they need to sell some of their current squad in order to raise the required funds.

Carlos Baleba had emerged as a key target but Brighton and Hove Albion do not want to sell and have not even indicated a price to the Red Devils, with the Old Trafford outfit now backing out of a move. They could still return for him in 12 months when he will have two years to run on his deal.

Man Utd consider Rasmus Hojlund swap deal

One player who could leave United this month is Rasmus Hojlund, with the Denmark international now unsure of his place at the club following the arrival of Sesko.

The forward has been linked with AC Milan with a potential season-long loan switch that would include an option to buy. Now French journalist Sebastien Vidal has claimed United are weighing up a swap deal to bring goalkeeper Mike Maignan to Old Trafford, with Hojlund - who is valued at £38m - going the other way.

He said on X: “Manchester United are considering including Rasmus Højlund (£38m) in a swap deal with AC Milan for Mike Maignan, eyed as André Onana’s replacement. The French goalkeeper is out of contract in 2026.”

Chelsea had looked at a deal for Maignan ahead of the Club World Cup but backed out of the transfer as they were “unwilling to pay over the odds”, per a report from The Guardian at the time. They have not returned to the table since cooling their interest.

What has been said about Rasmus Hojlund future

Asked about his plans for the player, Amorim said on Friday: "He's one more option. We will see. We are focused on this game, and Rasmus is still our player.”

Speaking about his own future, Hojlund said last month: “The most important [thing] for me is to keep working hard and stay focused and then we’ll see what happens. My plan is very clear and that is for me to stay and fight for my spot.

“Competition is fine with me, it sharpens me. I’m more than ready.”

Continue Reading

Read full news in source page