mirror.co.uk

Roy Keane sets target for Ruben Amorim and gives verdict on Man Utd transfers

Manchester United have brought in three new forwards for a combined £207.5million during the summer transfer window and Roy Keane has laid down a challenge for Ruben Amorim

MANCHESTER, ENGLAND - AUGUST 17: Manchester United Head Coach / Manager Ruben Amorim arrives prior to the Premier League match between Manchester United and Arsenal at Old Trafford on August 17, 2025 in Manchester, United Kingdom. (Photo by Ash Donelon/Manchester United via Getty Images)

Ruben Amorim's first full season at Manchester United is underway(Image: Ash Donelon/Manchester United via Getty Images)

Roy Keane 'likes the look' of Manchester United's new signings and has told Ruben Amorim that this season should be about rebuilding. United legend Keane has run the rule over the Red Devils' three major additions; Matheus Cunha, Bryan Mbeumo and Benjamin Sesko.

Cunha and Mbeumo both started United's first game of the Premier League season against Arsenal while Sesko, who only joined the club last week in a £74million transfer deal, was named on the bench. The Red Devils also want to sign a midfielder and potentially a goalkeeper, having already spent £207.5m.

Looking ahead to the new season, Keane told Sky Sports: "I think it's about trying to rebuild the team, get some confidence, get some momentum early in the season. Last year, obviously nowhere near good enough, we know that.

"The biggest issue they had all season despite chatting about the goalkeeper and the defence, they didn't score enough goals. When you're not scoring enough goals, particularly if you're Manchester United when they've invested so much money, you're constantly under pressure.

"They've obviously tried to fix that this summer. The signings, looking at them in pre-season, I know it's still early but yeah, the signs are good.

"They've obviously brought two players in who know the Premiership, they're robust enough to deal with the challenge of that and obviously they needed a goalscorer, so they were constantly under pressure. Looking at it, I like the look of it."

Turning his attention to the visit of Arsenal, the former United captain challenged Sesko to score on his Premier League debut. "This is a big start," Keane, speaking before line-ups had been confirmed, continued.

"We saw players already putting a marker down at the weekend, so for any striker, Sesko goes to a new club, if he's starting, can he get up and running? Score a goal? Get that trust and belief, not just from the supporters of the club but from his team-mates."

Do you agree with Roy Keane? Have your say in the comments section.

MANCHESTER, ENGLAND - AUGUST 17: Benjamin Sesko of Manchester United arrives prior to the Premier League match between Manchester United and Arsenal at Old Trafford on August 17, 2025 in Manchester, United Kingdom. (Photo by Ash Donelon/Manchester United via Getty Images)

Manchester United shelled out £74million for Benjamin Sesko

Amorim believes that the Red Devils need to start their rebuild by making Old Trafford a fortress again. "We've got to make it an enjoyable place for our fans. That is really important," the Portuguese said.

"We start with one game against Arsenal, a very good team. Everyone in this room thinks Arsenal are going to win. I know that. But we will be there on Sunday to change things."

Join our new MAN UTD WhatsApp community and receive your daily dose of Manchester United content from Mirror Football. We also treat our community members to special offers, promotions, and adverts from us and our partners. If you don't like our community, you can check out any time you like. If you're curious, you can read our Privacy Notice.

Read full news in source page