manchestereveningnews.co.uk

Bruno Fernandes agrees with Ruben Amorim in Man United transfer verdict after Arsenal defeat

Bruno Fernandes and Ruben Amorim have heaped praise on new Manchester United signings Bryan Mbeumo and Matheus Cunha after defeat to Arsenal on Sunday

Bruno Fernandes of Manchester United gestures

Bruno Fernandes had good things to say about new Manchester United players Bryan Mbeumo and Matheus Cunha

(Image: Offside via Getty Images)

Bruno Fernandes and Ruben Amorim have praised Bryan Mbeumo and Matheus Cunha's early impact at Manchester United.

The pair arrived at Old Trafford from Brentford and Wolverhampton Wanderers respectively in big-money deals this summer. Their signings were made with United looking to bolster an attack which scored just 44 goals in the Premier League last season.

Neither player was able to get onto the scoresheet for Ruben Amorim's side during Sunday's 1-0 defeat to Arsenal at M16. However, both played well in their first competitive game for the Reds with United overall putting on a much improved showing compared to what was often seen for much of last season under their Portuguese head coach.

And Reds captain Fernandes has highlighted the performances of both Mbeumo and Cunha against the Gunners, which offer encouraging signs for United in 2025/26.

"They created a lot, they were in the right positions," he told Sky Sports post-match. "We know they are dangerous and they are a threat. We are very aware of what they can give to the team. It was a good first impression for them but I'm pretty sure they will do much better."

Amorim meanwhile agreed with Fernandes' verdict of the pair whilst also assesing his team's performance as a whole.

"I'm really proud of the guys," he said. "They were really brave in everything they did during the game.

"Congratulations for the performance, but not congratulations [for the result] because we lost the game at home. We clearly deserved a different result and we need to move forward to the next one.

"We were more aggressive than last year, we sprinted more, we were braver, we went one against one for the whole game and we pressed high.

"With the ball, we have quality, even when the stadium makes some sound, we continued to play the way we play. We lost fewer balls in the build-up compared to last year, when we struggled a lot.

"Then the small things that we talk about in the beginning of this season when players like Cunha and Bryan can elevate the stadium in one moment. The most important thing - we weren't boring. We need to win games but that was a completely different game to last season."

Content Image

Content Image

Here at The Manchester Evening News, we are dedicated to bringing you the best Manchester United coverage and analysis.

Make sure you don't miss out on the latest United news by joining our free WhatsApp group. You can get all the breaking news and best analysis sent straight to your phone by clicking here to subscribe.

You can also subscribe to our free newsletter service. Click here to be sent all the day's biggest stories.

And, finally, if you would rather listen to our expert analysis then make sure to check out our Manchester is Red podcast, featuring The Samuel Luckhurst Show and The Midweek Debate. Our shows are available on all podcast platforms, including Spotify and Apple Podcasts, and you can also watch along on YouTube.

Read full news in source page