Wissa is headed out of the clubplaceholder image
Wissa is headed out of the club | Getty Images
Newcastle United hope to sign Brentford forward Yoane Wissa.
Newcastle United have identified Wissa as an ideal replacement for Callum Wilson, who left to join West Ham United on a free transfer, but have so far been unable to make progress on a deal, having seen a £25million bid rejected last month.
Wissa has told the Bees he wants to join Newcastle and as a result has stayed away from first-team action, missing the club’s 3-1 Premier League opening day defeat to Nottingham Forest on Sunday afternoon.
Keith Andrews casts doubt over Yoane Wissa to Newcastle United theory
Twenty-four hours earlier, the West London outfit completed a £42.5million club-record move for Ouattara from AFC Bournemouth, leading to suggestions that Wissa would finally be granted permission to leave.
However, Andrews has cast doubt over that theory, with the Brentford boss regarding Ouattara as a replacement for Bryan Mbeumo, who joined Manchester United.
Asked if Ouattara’s arrival would start a domino effect, Andrews said: “I don’t see it, I see Dango as Bryan’s replacement in terms of that area of the pitch, I see him as a versatile forward that I am really happy we have managed to get on board.
Read More
“We weren’t really aware he would be available, as soon as we knew it was a pretty easy decision to get him on board. Thankfully the club have been able to do that and it is a really significant investment for us. It will be a brilliant investment.”
Providing an update on Wissa’s situation, Andrews said: “It’s a day-by-day one in terms of Wiss. As far as I know nothing else has happened today, definitely didn’t yesterday, so as it was really. I have no idea what the situation will be, I have been up here since yesterday so we will deal with that during the week. Hopefully it can resolve itself sooner rather than later.”
Newcastle United striker situation as Alexander Isak pushes for Liverpool move
Alexander Isak’s refusal to play in an attempt to force a move to Liverpool forced Anthony Gordon to act as a makeshift striker for Saturday’s Premier League opening day draw at Aston Villa.
The Reds had a £110m bid rejected for Isak on August 1 and have vowed only to return with an improved offer when the Magpies make progress on signing a replacement.
Interest in Wissa has led some Liverpool fans to believe signing him would green light Isak’s exit. However, in reality, it is thought to mean very little with Wilson’s exit meaning the striker search started long before Isak expressed his desire to leave.
Howe told NewcastleWorld: “I think it's been my wish to get a striker because we needed to replace Callum Wilson. I can't say that enough. It's not like we're looking at any other area, we've been looking to recruit a striker to replace Callum. Callum's a big miss, not just his playing ability, but his personality. So that's what we're looking to do.”
Continue Reading