chroniclelive.co.uk

Yoane Wissa to Newcastle United transfer update emerges as new target 'turns down' move

The latest Newcastle United transfer news and rumours amid updates on Yoane Wissa and Goncalo Ramos.

Newcastle head coach Eddie Howe.

Newcastle head coach Eddie Howe.(Image: Stu Forster/Getty Images)

Newcastle United were unable to start the new Premier League season with three points - as they were held to a goalless draw at Aston Villa on Saturday lunchtime.

The Magpies were without frontman Alexander Isak for their Premier League opener, as his future continues to be the topic of conversation at both St James' Park and Anfield.

Despite Isak's absence, the Carabao Cup winners were the far more lively of the two teams at Villa Park and they appeared destined to bring all three points back to the north east when Ezri Konsa was sent off - with 25 minutes remaining.

However, Eddie Howe's side were unable to find a way past debutant Marco Bizot in goal and will instead have to wait for next Monday's first home game of the season, against Liverpool no less, to try and secure a first win of the new Premier League.

But you already knew that, didn't you? Here, ChronicleLive looks at some of the transfer news you might've missed in recent days;

Newcastle closing in on deal for Wissa

Daily Mail journalist Craig Hope says Newcastle will finally complete the signing of Yoane Wissa this week.

The 28-year-old Brentford forward has inadvertently been a part of one of the biggest transfer stories of the summer, with the Magpies seemingly not willing to let Isak join Liverpool until they sign a striker of their own.

After missing out on deals for Liam Delap, Joao Pedro and Hugo Ekitike, Newcastle have made Wissa their new first-choice target, and Hope is "convinced" a deal could be done this week.

ChronicleLive says: After a transfer saga that has seemingly gone on for months, the best thing that the Magpies can do is sign a striker this week and, finally, cut ties with Isak to move on once and for all.

Goncalo Ramos rules out Magpies move

Goncalo Ramos insists he will be staying at Paris Saint-Germain this season - despite being linked with a switch to Newcastle in recent days.

The 24-year-old was the latest high-profile frontman to be linked with a move to St James' Park over the weekend, with reports in the national press claiming that he had been offered to the Magpies.

However, the Portugal international appears to have ruled that out already - by telling reporters he's happy at the Parc des Princes.

"I'm ready when the team needs me. When I receive the ball like that, I score," said Ramos.

"Yes, I confirm that I am staying [at PSG] this season."

ChronicleLive says: At this point, Newcastle and Eddie Howe must be wondering if they can do anything right this transfer window, given how unlucky they have been on the recruitment front.

However, Ramos' intention to stay in the French capital might be a blessing in disguise for the Magpies, with the forward having a patchy record in France, since signing from Benfica a couple of years ago. After all, if Newcastle are to lose the best out-and-out No.9 in the world in Isak, they need a world-class replacement.

Is Ramos that? His record would suggest otherwise.

How to follow our NUFC WhatsApp channel

Did you know you can now get Newcastle United stories on WhatsApp? As well as our NUFC communities, we also have a channel dedicated to sending you the best news, opinion and analysis on all things black-and-white.

All you have to do is follow our channel on WhatsApp by clicking this link or you can find us by searching Chronicle Newcastle United.

Updates will then automatically appear if you select the Updates option on your WhatsApp menu and selecting the 'Chronicle - Newcastle United' channel. It's as easy as that. There are already thousands signed up, but remember to turn your notifications on so don't miss out.

Read full news in source page