liverpoolecho.co.uk

Southampton boss gives Tyler Dibling transfer update after Everton bids - 'It's not up to me'

Southampton boss Will Still has given an update on Everton transfer target Tyler Dibling

IPSWICH, ENGLAND - AUGUST 17: Tyler Dibling of Southampton during the Sky Bet Championship match between Ipswich Town and Southampton at Portman Road on August 17, 2025 in Ipswich, England. (Photo by Matt Watson/Southampton FC via Getty Images)

Tyler Dibling claps the Southampton supporters after the draw at Ipswich Town. He was making his first appearance of the season following transfer interest from Everton

(Image: Matt Watson/Southampton FC via Getty Images))

Everton kick-off their 2025-26 Premier League campaign tonight (August 18) at Leeds United (8pm kick-off). But with two weeks of the transfer window remaining, their squad is not yet complete.

It was always going to be a challenging summer for manager David Moyes and the club's new-look recruitment team being put together by new owners The Friedkin Group given the amount of players, both permanent and loanees, who have left Hill Dickinson Stadium.

So far the Blues have bolstered their ranks with seven signings - goalkeepers Mark Travers and Tom King to provide cover and competition for undisputed number one Jordan Pickford; left-back Adam Aznou, who could be given his debut tonight after an untimely injury to Vitalii Mykolenko; midfielders Kiernan Dewsbury-Hall,Carlos Alcaraz and Jack Grealish, as well as striker Thierno Barry.

Another right-back is still needed, however, as is a more defensive-minded midfielder, especially because Idrissa Gueye will miss part of the campaign when he competes at the Africa Cup of Nations alongside Iliman Ndiaye.

But perhaps Everton's biggest requirement in the market is a right winger. It's not been for the lack of trying, though.

The Blues were linked with the likes of Francisco Conceicao, Johan Bakayoko. Malick Fofana, Ben Doak and Omari Hutchinson before they showed their hand over highly rated Southampton teenager Tyler Dibling.

Everton have had three bids rejected for the 19-year-old, who is said to be interested in making the move to Merseyside, with the most recent a package that had the potential to rise to £37.5m.

With Southampton seemingly unwilling to move toward the Blues’ valuation, the club has taken its search for a right wing option elsewhere - for the time being at least.

The Saints, meanwhile, included Dibling in their squad for yesterday's (August 17) Championship clash away to Ipswich Town, who also came down from the Premier League last season.

The England Under-21 international was left out of Southampton's season opener amid heavy interest from Everton but returned against Ipswich, coming on as a late substitute.

Afterwards Saints boss Will Still was asked about the latest on Dibling, who scored four goals and created three more last season. And he said: “It's not up to me to tell him what's best for his career and his life.

“The one thing that is beneficial for everyone is that he trains, that he plays, that he's involved.

“Like I said to him, if that's what he wants, then clubs will look at it and say, 'he's being professional, he's playing, he's getting involved, and he's doing the job right'.

“If he does well, then the interest will only grow for him, and we want good players on the pitch. I think it's just beneficial for everyone that we do things in the right way and that we respect the club, the players, and everyone involved.

“But Ty's still young, he's still learning how it all works. He's still trying to work out who's who and who does what and how that impacts him and his life and his career.

“We just have to help him get through that, and we are. We give him headspace when he needs a bit of time and a bit of reflection.

“We've worked him back in because we want good players on the pitch, and he's a good player.”

Read full news in source page