Manchester United kick-started their new era properly with a spirited performance in a loss to Arsenal, but for two players, the alarm bells are ringing.
Ruben Amorim’s team selection for the game was a little contentious, with the Man Utd manager going defensive, picking Diogo Dalot over Amad, and Kobbie Mainoo not playing any minutes.
There was no natural striker in the team either, with Benjamin Sesko coming off the bench to do a fairly good job of making a nuisance of himself.
However, at least all those players were on the bench, which can’t be said for two players in the Man Utd squad whose futures are going in opposite directions now.
Rasmus Hojlund of Manchester United sits in the stands with Diego León and Lisandro Martínez during the Premier League match between Manchester United and Arsenal at Old Trafford on August 17, 2025
Photo by Robbie Jay Barratt – AMA/Getty Images
Andre Onana and Rasmus Hojlund’s Man Utd future
Ruben Amorim set the tone before the start of the pre-season itself, stating that no player who isn’t a part of his long-term plans will train with the team.
Since then, Rasmus Hojlund has also joined that group, albeit not directly, as he has trained with the first team, but he was out of the squad vs Arsenal.
Hojlund had a good pre-season before Benjamin Sesko’s arrival completely turned Amorim off on him.
Andre Onana, on the other hand, got injured at the worst possible time, so even though he was fit after missing the entire pre-season, Amorim deemed him not ready for Arsenal.
More United News
After the game, Amorim made it clear that Onana wasn’t “dropped”, but he was less determined to clear Hojlund’s future.
Fabrizio Romano, speaking on his YouTube channel, has now confirmed that Onana’s camp hasn’t taken this decision by Amorim as a sign of departure, but it’s ‘definitely over’ for Hojlund.
He said: “We know Man Utd are trying to sell Hojlund as soon as possible. It’s definitely over for him.
“At the same time, the feeling of those close to Onana is that this decision is just because he’s recovering from an injury. He was not 100% yet. Onana accepted the decision made by Amorim. He doesn’t feel it was a decision for a transfer. The situation is quiet.”
Onana could be in Hojlund’s position next summer
Man Utd fans are unlikely to be assured now that Onana is set to stay at the club, but, as it stands, he does look like the best among a bad bunch of goalkeepers.
However, that doesn’t mean that the sword isn’t hanging above his head, and he could well find himself in Hojlund’s position next summer.
Amorim won’t admit it to protect his players, but the goalkeeping position clearly needs an upgrade, and the only reason why that hasn’t happened yet is because of bigger priorities elsewhere.
Now that United have revamped their attack, a weak season by Onana will see him be the first out of the exit door next summer.
He has been given a second chance at Old Trafford when his performances haven’t deserved one. It’s up to him to run away with it now.