Liverpool’s 4-2 win over Bournemouth was marred by a fan of the former allegedly hurling racial abuse at Antoine Semenyo – and Merseyside Police have now confirmed that a man has been conditionally bailed after being arrested the day after the match.
Play was briefly halted in the 29th minute of the 2025/26 Premier League curtain-raiser after Semenyo complained to referee Anthony Taylor, who then spoke to both Arne Slot and Andoni Iraola about why a break in play had been necessary.
An anti-discrimination message was broadcast on Sky Sports’ coverage of the match – and it is understood police went into the ref's room at half-time to discuss what had happened just shy of the half-hour mark. Speaking on commentary, Peter Drury said:
“I am told by the Premier League Match Centre than Antoine Semenyo was subjected to a racist comment by a member of the crowd.”
Merseyside Police Release Statement After Semenyo Racial Abuse
semenyo
The day after Anfield’s six-goal thriller, when Semenyo, 25, provided the Cherries with a slither of hope with a brace, authorities confirmed that a man had been arrested after being identified and ejected from his seat at Liverpool’s ground.
Later, a fan – who claimed to have sat nearby to the incident – recalled what happened in the Premier League’s opener. And now, Merseyside Police have said that he has been released on bail, with conditions, after a thorough investigation took place.
Watch Semenyo's brace of goals against Liverpool:
In an official statement, Merseyside Police provided an update: “We can confirm that a man has been conditionally bailed after he was arrested following reports that racist abuse was directed towards Bournemouth player Antoine Semenyo.”
The 47-year-old from Liverpool – who remains nameless at this stage – has been ordered not to go within a mile of any football stadium. He has, upon being bailed, been told to avoid matches.
“A 47-year-old man from Liverpool was arrested on Saturday 16 August on suspicion of a racially aggravated public order offence. He has now been bailed with conditions, which includes not to attend any regulated football match in the UK and not to go within one mile of a designated football stadium.”
They concluded by saying that the force and Liverpool continue to work together: “An investigation into the incident, which occurred during a Premier League match between Liverpool and Bournemouth at Anfield on Friday 15 August, remains ongoing and we continue to work closely with the club.”
arne slot antoine semenyo
Newcastle United-linked Semenyo, whose courage to score two goals following the alleged racial abuse is commendable, took to social media to thank the footballing community for their support. The Ghana international wrote: “Last night at Anfield will stay with me forever – not because of one person’s words, but because of how the entire football family stood together.”
“To my Bournemouth team-mates who supported me in that moment, to the Liverpool players and fans who showed their true character, to the Premier League officials who handled it professionally – thank you. Football showed its best side when it mattered most.”
He continued: “Scoring those two goals felt like speaking the only language that truly matters on the pitch. This is why I play – for moments like these, for my teammates, for everyone who believes in what this beautiful game can be. The overwhelming messages of support from across the football world remind me why I love this sport. We keep moving forward, together.”