Manchester United face a busy end to the transfer window as the club work on trimming surplus players from Ruben Amorim's squad before deadline day
Ruben Amorim
Ruben Amorim will want several Manchester United players to seal moves away from Old Trafford before deadline day
(Image: Stu Forster/Getty Images)
Manchester United showed signs of improvement in their defeat by Arsenal, but Ruben Amorim's side still have plenty of work to do in the transfer window.
United fans saw all three of their new forwards during their narrow loss to the Gunners, with Matheus Cunha in particular earning plaudits for the club in his league debut. It wasn't enough for United to come away with a share of the points, though, as a mistake from goalkeeper Altay Bayindir allowed Riccardo Calafiori to score the game's only goal.
Off the pitch, United are still looking to shift several players deemed surplus to requirements and address their goalkeeper situation. However, the club have faced a few setbacks in its transfer plans.
Jadon Sancho decision
Roma have reportedly offered around £20million for winger Jadon Sancho. The England international has expressed a desire to leave Old Trafford after Chelsea opted not to make Sancho's loan move permanent.
Reports in Italy have claimed that United have already reached an agreement with Roma regarding an initial loan deal with an obligation to buy. However, Corriere dello Sport reports that Sancho is yet to commit to joining Roma.
Manager Gian Piero Gasperini is said to have spoken with Sancho about his plans for the winger to be part of his team. Meanwhile, Roma are also working on a move for Aston Villa's Leon Bailey.
The Daily Mail has reported that Sancho's wages have delayed negotiations with Roma. Besiktas, managed by former United boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, are reportedly interested in Sancho this summer.
Jadon Sancho celebrates winning the Europa Conference League
Jadon Sancho won the Europa Conference League with Chelsea last season
Rasmus Hojlund transfer twist
Rasmus Hojlund is reportedly a potential target for Fulham, but the striker is keen to rebuild his career away from the Premier League if he does leave United. The 22-year-old has previously voiced his desire to stay at the club, but was left out of the matchday squad for the season opener against Arsenal.
The Daily Mail stated that Hojlund has emerged as a possible target for Fulham as striker Rodrigo Muniz is wanted by Atalanta. However, the Whites face competition from AC Milan, who have offered a £4.5million loan fee with an option to buy for £39m, with Hojlund said to favour a move abroad.
Milan sporting director Igli Tare has confirmed the club's interest in the United striker, as he told Mediaset: "Hojlund is a good option for us. We are thinking about him, but in the transfer market, you never know what could happen."
However, The Mirror reports that United's hopes of Milan meeting their valuation for Hojlund partly rest on Dusan Vlahovic's future. The Juventus striker is regarded as Milan's top target, but the club are yet to agree on a fee or contract, though a positive development may derail Hojlund's chances of joining Milan.
Rasmus Hojlund warming up for Manchester United
Rasmus Hojlund was left out of the Manchester United squad on Sunday
Inter Milan could deal goalkeeper blow
Amorim made the bold call to pick Bayindir ahead of Onana against Arsenal but it was a decision that highlighted the team’s issues at goalkeeper. United have been linked with a move for PSG’s Gianluigi Donnarumma, but Antwerp's Senne Lammens is an alternative target.
The 23-year-old established himself as the Belgian club's first-choice last season. Het Laatste Nieuws, who credit United with an interest, has previously claimed that it is "crystal clear" Lammens will be leaving the club this summer. Antwerp have already signed his replacement and placed a £17.2m price tag on the goalkeeper.
However, Amorim's side may be dealt a blow in their hopes of securing Lammens' services, with the Telegraph reporting that Inter are pushing to sign the shot-stopper. Belgian outlet HLN claims that the Italian giants view Lammens as a potential successor to 36-year-old Yann Sommer.
Senne Lammens playing for Royal Antwerp
Antwerp goalkeeper Senne Lammens is a reported target for Manchester United and Inter Milan
Man United brace for Alejandro Garnacho bid
Alejandro Garnacho is among the several players who informed the club of their desire to leave United. The winger memorably shared his frustration after being named on the bench for the Europa League final last season.
Garnacho, 21, is a target for Chelsea and is claimed to have already agreed personal terms. However, United are demanding around £50m for the highly-rated winger. The club believe Garnacho’s value should reflect the £52m Chelsea received for selling Noni Madueke to Arsenal.
While United are awaiting an offer from Chelsea, there has been a sign of the current fan feeling towards Garnacho. On Sunday, a portrait of Garnacho near Old Trafford was defaced by what appeared to be an 'X' drawn over the Argentinian's face.