Eddie Howe says Alexander Isak’s future was the “last thing” on his mind when Newcastle United qualified for the Champions League a few months ago.
Newcastle felt qualifying for the Champions League was enough to keep Isak, who desperately wants to leave the club for Liverpool.
Despite his wishes to go, Newcastle continue to insist Isak isn’t for sale.
It has been claimed that Isak told Newcastle he wanted to leave the club last season but Howe’s comments would appear to suggest that isn’t the case.
Speaking after Saturday’s draw with Aston Villa, the Newcastle United manager revealed what he thought about it all.
Alexander Isak comes off the pitch during a Premier League game between Newcastle United and Nottingham Forest
Photo by Robbie Jay Barratt – AMA/Getty Images
Eddie Howe responds to Alexander Isak reports
According to The Chronicle, Howe has “effectively dismissed” claims that Isak had asked to leave Newcastle months ago.
Indeed, in March, Isak told Swedish media that he was happy at Newcastle.
Obviously, players can say things to the media only to appease supporters at the time, but Howe’s comments wouldn’t suggest he knew all this was coming.
MORE NEWCASTLE STORIES
When asked about those reports, Howe said: “Trust me, when that final whistle went, that [Isak leaving] was the furthest thing from my mind.
“It was just a feeling of relief really because we were hunting that prize all season.
“We were in and around it after a really good run in December. I was not thinking of any individual in that moment, so I can’t really give an answer on that.”
Newcastle United have denied Alexander Isak claims
Earlier this month, Daily Telegraph journalist Luke Edwards was in discussion with a Liverpool supporter on social media platform X.
During the chat, Edwards revealed that Newcastle have “strenuously denied” there was ever any internal agreement to let Isak leave this summer.
Hi Robert, thanks for your interest in the article. Your comments have been flagged up to me. Just so you are aware, the article was looked at by lawyers before it was published and there is nothing defamatory within it.
Finally, it has been strenuously denied that there was any…
— Luke Edwards (@LukeEdwardsTele) August 10, 2025
View Tweet
He also added that the only talks that took place between Isak’s agents and the club were centred around the prospect of a new contract.
No matter what happened behind the scenes, Newcastle fans have now turned on Isak.
Angry chants were aimed at him from the away end after the Villa game and it’s getting increasingly difficult to see a way back into their hearts.
Even if the 25-year-old does stay, he’d be set for an incredibly awkward few months.