liverpoolecho.co.uk

David Moyes shares Everton transfer plan after alarming Leeds statistic - 'Desperate to get'

David Moyes reacts after Everton's first game of the Premier League season against Leeds United

Moyes was frustrated during the loss to Leeds (Photo by DARREN STAPLES/AFP via Getty Images)

David Moyes said he was “desperate” for more quality in attack as his side laboured in a narrow defeat at Leeds United.

The Blues boss said it was a problem he had spent much of the summer acknowledging, but that he still needs reinforcements. That much was clear at Elland Road as his team struggled to pose a threat to the newly-promoted hosts.

Everton have signed Carlos Alcaraz, Kiernan Dewsbury-Hall, Thierno Barry and Jack Grealish so far this summer. Moyes is still without a specialist option on the right wing, however, something that was painfully clear on Monday night.

Speaking after a 1-0 defeat secured by a controversial late Lukas Nmecha penalty, he said: “The attacking players, we are desperate to get more quality. But let's be fair, it's something I think I've been saying for a while that I'm having to try and find ways of getting that better.”

Everton came close through Jake O’Brien and Alcaraz in the second half but struggled to mount an effective attacking threat through the match. According to stats website FotMob, the side created zero xG in the first half and the first shot of the new campaign came from Idrissa Gueye in the 54th minute.

In contrast, Leeds were a persistent menace - led by former Everton right wing target Wilfried Gnonto. That position remains a gaping hole in the squad two years after Gnonto missed Leeds matches amid efforts from Everton to take him to Merseyside.

Having last season relied upon loanees Jesper Lindstrom and Jack Harrison - who was booed by sections of his own fanbase as he faced Everton on Monday - the issue in that area remains unresolved.

Everton have spent the summer chasing targets with no success as yet, the most recent pursuit being for Southampton starlet Tyler Dibling. Three bids were rejected for the teen, who has since been reintegrated into the Saints squad having initially been left out due to Everton’s interest.

One attacking signing Moyes has been given is Grealish, who came on for the final 20 minutes. Asked whether he was ready to start a match yet, having been left out of Manchester City’s summer schedule, Moyes said: “Jack's trained really well. I want to try and bring him in at the right time. I don't want us to put him out there and the expectations be too high, too quickly for him.

“I think if you look into it, I think he's very rarely played two games in a row, he's rarely played three games in a row, so if you actually look into his history you'll find that he's not done that, so we'll have to bring him on and we'll need to do it at the right times.”

Read full news in source page