Pundit Gary Neville has attempted to smooth over relations with Nottingham Forest after being banned from attending last season’s City Ground finale.
The Reds took exception to the former Manchester United defender’s public criticism of owner Evangelos Marinakis back in May. As a result, he was unable to attend the club’s final game of last term - at home to Chelsea - in a broadcasting capacity.
Nuno Espirito Santo’s side lost that game 1-0 as they missed out on Champions League qualification. It was still a brilliant campaign for Forest, though, and they will compete in the Europa League this season as European football returns to the banks of the Trent for the first time in three decades.
The Reds are aiming to balance their continental adventure with once again competing at the top end of the Premier League table after finishing seventh in 2024/25. Neville has argued it will be difficult for Forest to replicate last term’s success on the domestic front, but he is seemingly eager to cover matches Trentside again.
Speaking on Sky Sports’ Monday Night Football after he had predicted the Reds to be the division’s ‘surprise European contenders’ in 2025/26, Neville said: “For Forest to repeat what they did last year, it’d be a massive result for them. That was a massive overreach and overperformance last year - they were punching well above their weight.
“For me, for Forest to go in again would be a big surprise. But I actually think they’ve got a lot of very good players there and a good system of play. It’s an efficient system of play that I think can win a lot of football matches.”
Neville then quipped: “I really like Nottingham Forest… let me back in!”
Get breaking Forest news sent direct to your phone
Join our Nottingham Forest WhatsApp group and get the latest breaking news, interviews and opinion sent straight to your phone, plus matchday team news and live updates of all the action. Just click here and select ‘Join Community’ to get started. The only proviso is that you must have WhatsApp on your phone to participate. No one will be able to see your personal information and you will only receive messages from the NottinghamshireLive Reds writers.
We will not spam your WhatsApp feed with constant messages, but you will receive updates from us daily with the latest Reds stories. If you later decide to opt out, just go to the name at the top of your screen and click 'Exit Group'. We also treat our community members to special offers, promotions and adverts from us and our partners. If you are curious, you can click here to read our Privacy Notice.
The Reds denied former defender Neville accreditation for their final-day clash with Chelsea on the banks of the Trent last season. It led to Sky Sports choosing to broadcast coverage of the match from their London studio.
Forest’s decision regarding Neville came after he had criticised Marinakis’ behaviour following the team’s previous home game, when they drew 2-2 with Leicester City.
Marinakis had confronted Reds head coach Nuno on the City Ground pitch after the final whistle had blown in the match against the Foxes. Neville immediately posted on X: "Scandalous from that Forest owner. Nuno should go and negotiate his exit tonight with him! The Forest fans, players and manager do not deserve that."
Both Marinakis and Nuno later explained their conversation had been about Taiwo Awoniyi, who had collided with a post late on in the game. Marinakis said there was “frustration” over the “medical staff’s misjudgement” regarding the striker’s ability to continue.
Last week it emerged Forest were seeking assurances from Neville before welcoming him back into the City Ground. It was reported the Reds want assurances Neville will exercise greater restraint in his commentary regarding Marinakis before changing their position.
Do you agree with Neville's prediction for this season? Click HERE to have your say
This article contains affiliate links, we will receive a commission on any sales we generate from it. Learn more
Sky Sports deal