mirror.co.uk

Wrexham close in on £8m deal for Man City star in latest transfer statement

Wrexham have invested heavily this summer as they attempt to retain a place in the Championship and now look set to sign one of Manchester City’s brightest stars

Ryan Reynolds

Wrexham have invested heavily this summer(Image: Getty Images)

Wrexham are reportedly closing in on a stunning deal for Manchester City defender Callum Doyle as their summer recruitment drive continues. The Welsh club have splashed the cash this summer following their promotion to the Championship.

Wrexham have already spent around £20m throughout the window, while they have also smashed the club record transfer with a £7.5m deal for Ipswich’s Nathan Broadhead. But it appears that they aren’t quite finished there.

The Athletic report that the Championship side are now closing in on a £8m swoop for Man City youngster Callum Doyle. He also has interest from Rangers and Sheffield United but Wrexham appear to have won the race for his services.

Doyle, 21, is a product of City’s academy having been at the club throughout his youth career. But he has made just two senior appearances for the side.

He has had more luck out on loan though. He helped Sunderland to promotion in 2022, and then reached the Championship playoff final the following season with Coventry.

The defender then joined Leicester, winning the Championship, while he spent last season on loan with Norwich City. Speaking earlier this summer, he admitted that he was ready for pastures new.

"I think (a permanent move) is the next aim for me," Doyle told the Pink Un. "It's my fourth loan now, and I've been all over the country.

"I've got nothing to say bad about this club. I love it. I've loved playing here and at Carrow Road. The fans are great, so you never know (about a return). It just depends on what happens in the summer, to be honest."

Callum Doyle

Callum Doyle looks set to leave Man City this summer

How will Wrexham do in the Championship this season? Share your thoughts in the comments below

Meanwhile, Wrexham boss Phil Parkinson has revealed that he is still keen to welcome a few more new faces to the Racecourse Ground ahead of next month’s deadline. He said: “We're looking across the board. We probably do need a couple more players, we're looking at that.

"It's ongoing, it's obviously busy for all managers and clubs at the moment when you're preparing for games and looking to improve the squad. The lads we've brought in at the moment are really good and I'm pleased with the way they've settled in."

Wrexham have lost each of their opening two Championship games. They were dramatically beaten by Southampton late on before falling to defeat to Norwich City. They will continue their search for their first win of the campaign this weekend as they host crisis club Sheffield Wednesday.

Join our new WhatsApp community and receive your daily dose of Mirror Football content. We also treat our community members to special offers, promotions, and adverts from us and our partners. If you don't like our community, you can check out any time you like. If you're curious, you can read our Privacy Notice.

Read full news in source page