thisisanfield.com

Federico Chiesa informs Liverpool of ‘clear desire to stay’ at the club

Following a summer of speculation over an exit, Federico Chiesa now looks set to stay at Liverpool for another year due to changing squad circumstances.

Earlier in the transfer window, reliable reports emerged that Chiesa was seeking to leave – not a surprising development given his lack of game time last season.

However, things have since changed, with transfer journalist Fabrizio Romano explaining on X: “Chiesa and his agent have informed Liverpool about a clear desire to stay at the club.

“Chiesa considered to leave in June/July when Liverpool rejected bids for Luis Diaz and Federico was left out of the Asian tour.

LIVERPOOL, ENGLAND - Friday, August 15, 2025: Liverpool's Federico Chiesa during the FA Premier League match between Liverpool FC and AFC Bournemouth at Anfield. Liverpool won 4-2. (Photo by David Rawcliffe/Propaganda)

“Now Diaz has left, [there is] more space and that goal to open a new chapter.”

This report falls in line with what Chiesa himself suggested after scoring a decisive late goal in Liverpool’s 4-2 win over Bournemouth.

“We will talk to Liverpool, but to be perfectly honest, I am happy here,” he said when asked by Sky Sport Italia about his future.

“I am playing for one of the best teams in the world. I just have to wait and be ready, as I was tonight, and prove that I can play for this team.

“I repeat, the coach has treated me very well in these months.”

Federico Chiesa celebrates vs Bournemouth, Anfield (Alamy Images)

Chiesa came on in a centre-forward role at Anfield, rather than as a winger, the position fans expected him to play upon arrival last year.

“I play wherever the coach puts me,” the 27-year-old added.

“I arrived here and had a lot of difficulty, because the tempo is just so different, but after a year I finally got my first Premier League goal.

“The coach gave me a chance and always had words of encouragement for me.”

Following the sales of Darwin Nunez and Luis Diaz, as well as the death of Diogo Jota, Liverpool have been left with Mo Salah, Cody Gakpo, Chiesa and new signing Hugo Ekitike as their only senior attackers.

Rio Ngumoha has also shown promise on the left in pre-season, but Chiesa came on ahead of the 16-year-old against Bournemouth, which suggests he is currently higher up the pecking order when the pressure is on.

What Arne Slot has said about Federico Chiesa’s future

Arne Slot delivered a similar message along similar lines to Chiesa’s after beating Bournemouth, suggesting the No. 14 will remain on Merseyside.

“As long as he’s here, he’s definitely at Liverpool and I have no reason to believe that something is going to change,” the head coach said.

“He had a hard time last season, getting his match fitness ready.

“Unfortunately for him, he missed out on our Asia tour as well, so then you miss quite a lot – not only him, but Joe Gomez the same; we’ve also lost Conor Bradley in the end.

“Federico, when we needed him, I brought him in. At 2-2, you need a No. 9. We brought him in and he delivered.

“That’s always positive for your future at the club.”

Read full news in source page