athlonsports.com

"Payback Time": NBA Legend Shaquille O'Neal Officially Accepts Celebrity Boxing Match

Aug 19, 2025 6:08 AM EDT

It’s a known fact that Shaquille O’Neal is one of the greatest big men to ever pick up a basketball. His legacy in the NBA is undeniable, with the former Los Angeles Lakers superstar widely considered one of, if not the most dominant center in the history of the sport.

As great as the four-time NBA champion might be on the basketball court, O’Neal has yet to prove himself in the boxing ring. Well, it seems like this will all change soon. This is after the 53-year-old officially accepted a Celebrity Boxing challenge on Monday night.

It all started when Charlie Mack, aka Charles Alston, called out O’Neal for a fight.

“Hey, listen,” Mack said. “I’m making an open call to Shaquille O’Neal.”

Mack, an icon in the Philadelphia music and culture scene, then revealed his long-standing beef with O’Neal.

“We were in Dallas doing an autograph signing, and he came and tried to jump in front of the line,” Mack said, reflecting on an incident from many years ago. “I chopped him in his neck so he could get back.

“So listen, I’m giving you an opportunity to kind of settle the difference. Me and you, baby, super heavyweight. … I’m calling you ‘Sha-knocked out.’ That’s what you’ll be.”

Oops! We’re unable to load this content right now.

View directly on Instagram

Not the type to back down from any challenge, O’Neal wasted no time responding to Mack’s callout.

“I accept let’s do it,” O’Neal responded in the comments section.

The Hall of Famer wasn’t done either. To make sure that his message came across, O’Neal took to Instagram to send his official response to Mack’s challenge.

“Hey Celebrity Boxing and Charlie Mack, I accept,” O’Neal said. “You chopped me in my neck, Charlie Mack, that’s why I talk so funny. Payback time.

“You name the time and place, I’ll be there. Diesel don’t run from nobody. … Better check my police record, Charlie Mack.”

Oops! We’re unable to load this content right now.

View directly on Instagram

There are currently no details on the O’Neal vs. Mack fight as of yet, but it seems that this is a bout that is going to take place in the near future.

It is worth noting that this won’t be O’Neal’s first dance. The 7-foot-1 big man has been in two exhibition boxing matches already. He lost both of them, though, as he battled two legends in the sport in Oscar De La Hoya in 2009 and Shane Mosley the following year.

That was more than 15 years ago, and there’s no denying that O’Neal has lost a bit of spring in his step since then. However, this won’t stop him from going in the ring to battle Mack in what should be a very interesting and highly lucrative match.

About the Author

Paolo Songco

Trending News Writer, Athlon Sports

Paolo Songco is a trending news writer for Athlon Sports.

Read full news in source page