Liverpool remain at a stalemate with Crystal Palace over Marc Guehi, as the Reds wait for an official offer to be made for Harvey Elliott.
Today’s Main LFC Headline
Having made an initial approach over potentially signing Elliott at the start of August, RB Leipzig are “yet to follow up their interest with a concrete offer,” reported James Pearce.
He wrote for the Athletic that Elliott‘s future “remains uncertain” and Leipzig “view him as a potential replacement” for Xavi Simons.
Simons, though, is still to actually leave the Bundesliga club. He has been most strongly linked to Chelsea, with whom “informal talks continue,” but no fee has yet been agreed.
LIVERPOOL, ENGLAND - Monday, August 4, 2025: Liverpool's Harvey Elliott appluading the fans during a pre-season friendly match between Liverpool FC and Athletic Bilbao at Anfield. (Photo by David Rawcliffe/Propaganda)
Any potential move for Elliott, then, could be dependent on Leipzig receiving funds from Simons’ sale – Liverpool were previously touted as demanding £50 million from West Ham, a figure which the Mail said caused the Hammers to withdraw.
Leipzig are reported to have put a similar price on Simons, a young, Dutch international attacker with quick feet and pace to burn.
Today’s Liverpool FC News
LIVERPOOL, ENGLAND - Friday, August 15, 2025: Liverpool's Federico Chiesa during the FA Premier League match between Liverpool FC and AFC Bournemouth at Anfield. (Photo by David Rawcliffe/Propaganda)
• Crystal Palace and Liverpool remain at an impasse over Guehi‘s price, as the *Independent*‘s Miguel Delaney reports the Eagles want £45m but the Reds are currently offering £10m less
• Federico Chiesa and his agent have “informed Liverpool about a clear desire to stay” on Merseyside, wrote Fabrizio Romano on X – this seems to line up with what the player and Arne Slot said after the Bournemouth game
• Austrian champions Sturm Graz have been named among **James McConnell**‘s current suitors, with the Reds “considering a loan,” according the Athletic
More from This Is Anfield
With Liverpool beginning their second season under Arne Slot, Joe Baker looked back on the Dutchman’s previous record in his sophomore years – he has only actually completed a second campaign in full once!
“The weight on Mohamad Salah’s shoulders needs to be lifted.
“At Feyenoord, much was made of the goals of Santiago Gimenez, but intriguingly he only netted 15 of their 81 in the League in the title-winning season.
“The team’s number of goals and XG increased but what is key is that the spread of them did too. In their respective recent League triumphs, 60% of Liverpool’s goals came from three players, whereas for Feyenoord the same percentage came from five.”
READ: Arne Slot has limited second season experience – so what can Liverpool expect?
Elsewhere in the football world today
LONDON, ENGLAND - Saturday, May 17, 2025: Manchester City's Claudio Echeverri during the FA Cup Final between Crystal Palace FC and Manchester City FC at Wembley Stadium. Crystal Palace won 1-0. (Photo by Harry Murphy/Propaganda)
• Morecambe have appointed Ashvir Singh Johal to become the first Sikh manager at a professional British club – at 30 years old, he is also the youngest manager in England’s top five divisions
• Bayer Leverkusen have agreed a deal to take Man City midfielder Claudio Echeverri on loan for the season (BBC Sport)
• Villarreal are in talks to sign Chelsea defender Renato Veiga who is valued at £34.6m (Sky Sports) – the revolving door at Stamford Bridge never closes
Diogo Jota’s Anfield mosaic – Inside the making of Liverpool’s tribute
With Diogo Jota‘s widow in attendance on Friday, the Bournemouth match offered fans a chance to show their support for their family.
At the centre of the pre-match tributes to Jota and his brother, Andre Silva, was the Anfield mosaic across the Kenny Dalglish Stand and the Kop.
Along with about 80 others, we went down to help lay the mosaic out on the morning of the game, speaking to the designer, Andy Knott, and those who volunteered to put it together.