hammers.news

Exclusive: West Ham set record straight on star's exit amid talk Everton are mystery fourth…

West Ham have issued a response to growing speculation around Edson Alvarez, after surprise reports claimed Everton could be a mystery fourth club who have entered the running for his signature.

Hammers News exclusive

There is never a dull moment in the weird and wonderful world of West Ham United, just ask Everton boss David Moyes.

The Scot experienced that first hand over two spells in east London, the second of which saw West Ham reach new heights that had Everton wanting him back.

Moyes’ time with the Hammers ended with the team in regression.

And that has not slowed since with Julen Lopetegui and now Graham Potter struggling badly to turn the West Ham ship around.

West Ham and Everton on hunt for new midfielders

Since Moyes’ return to Everton, they had been on a very different trajectory to West Ham.

But both the Hammers and Toffees have started the season off with demoralising defeats to newly-promoted sides and it’s clear they need reinforcements.

West Ham’s midfield has been indisputably their biggest problem since Moyes’ time with the club.

MORE WEST HAM STORIES

The Hammers failed miserably to replace any of the qualities Declan Rice brought to the side, wasting the £105m and ending up with a slow, immobile midfield lacking in power, pace or dynamism.

The same can be said of Everton’s midfield, so it is no surprise that Moyes and Potter are both on the hunt for new central midfielders in the last two weeks of the summer transfer window.

Everton boss David Moyes talks with West Ham midfielder Edson Alvarez during pre-season in the US

Photo by Daniel Bartel – Premier League/Getty Images

Everton were heavily linked with a move for Moyes – and West Ham fan – favourite Tomas Soucek at the start of the summer.

Nothing has come of that as yet, despite Soucek finding himself frozen out of the starting XI by Potter.

Now, though, it is rumoured Everton could be sniffing around another out-of-favour Irons midfielder.

And West Ham have set the record straight on Edson Alvarez amid talk Everton are the mystery fourth club in mix for the Mexican.

Alvarez was an unused sub in the opening day 3-0 defeat to Sunderland.

West Ham set record straight on Alvarez amid talk Everton are in mix

The 27-year-old is one of a number of midfielders West Ham are trying to sell as they look to bring in one or two new players in the middle of the park.

Alvarez sent a cryptic West Ham post on social media immediately after the defeat to Sunderland, suggesting God has a better plan for him.

It wasn’t the first time Alvarez has posted mysterious messages after matches he is not involved in and there have been claims he and Potter do not see eye-to-eye.

Over the last 24 hours, claims have emerged from all manner of sources suggesting Alvarez is on the verge of leaving West Ham for Fenerbahce.

Former West Ham boss David Moyes shakes hands with majority owner David Sullivan after winning the Europa Conference League

Photo by Chris Brunskill/Fantasista/Getty Images

However, Guardian journalist Jacob Steinberg revealed that move has been put on hold for now after Porto and Borussia Dortmund also registered their interest with Alvarez and West Ham.

In a surprising twist, though, Everton and Nottingham Forest are said to be weighing up their own moves for the Hammers outcast.

Edson alvarez yazılan tüm orta sahalardan daha isimsiz daha göz önünde olmayan bir isim. Bu yaz ayrılığı çok olası. Everton ve Nottingham da takip etti.

Palacios tielemans zaten alamazsın. Ama bu eleman olur gibi.

Hastane dönüşü uyuyakalmışım. Gene birisi yazılmış:)

— Diamond Transfer (@Diamond_Tranfer) August 18, 2025

View Tweet

West Ham fans are furious at the prospect of Alvarez being loaned out given the club needs to raise funds in order for Potter to make signings.

So the prospect of Everton and the other clubs being linked coming into the running has raised hopes the Hammers might get a much-needed sale.

But there is some bad news on that front it seems.

Hammers make Alvarez situation clear

Hammers News asked the top spokesman for West Ham’s owners whether Alvarez was on his way out imminently.

It was also put to the senior board source whether his departure would help the Hammers push through a move for a new midfielder or two.

Moyes’ rumoured interest in bringing Alvarez to Everton was also put to the Hammers hierarchy.

But not only is Alvarez not close to leaving at the time of writing, it will not help West Ham’s ability to sign a new midfielder if he does depart – because none of the clubs interested want to buy him.

And the Hammers say Alvarez is yet to make up his mind on which club he will choose, while staying tight-lipped on whether Everton are one of them.

“Not true (that Alvarez on his way out imminently),” the top spokesman for West Ham’s board exclusively told Hammers News.

“He is thinking about his options at the moment which I won’t divulge.

“But they are ALL loans, no offers to buy.”

Read full news in source page