Alexander Isak has dropped his biggest hint yet that he wants to leave Newcastle to join Liverpool by releasing a bombshell statement.
The striker has been involved in a summer-long saga amid huge interest from the Reds, who have had a £110million bid rejected.
Isak has commented for the first time on his current situation at Newcastle
3
Isak has commented for the first time on his current situation at NewcastleCredit: Getty
Last week, Isak refused to play for Newcastle again as he looked to force a move through to Anfield this window.
He then went on to play no part in the Magpies' opening game of the Premier League season against Aston Villa on Saturday.
The ongoing situation stemmed from Isak missing Eddie Howe's side's pre-season and then being banished from the first team.
Isak released a statement on Instagram on Tuesday night, after being awarded a place in the Team of the Season at the PFA Awards.
READ MORE ON ISAK
He wrote: "I'm proud to be recognised by my fellow professionals with a place in the PFA Premier League Team of the Season for 2024/25.
"First and foremost I want to thank my teammates and everyone at Newcastle United who has supported me along the way.
"I'm not at the ceremony tonight. With everything going on, it didn't feel right to be there.
"I've kept quiet for a long time while others have spoken. That silence has allowed people to push their own version of events, even though they know it doesn't reflect what was really said and agreed behind closed doors.
"The reality is that promises were made and the club has known my position for a long time. To now act as if these issues are only emerging is misleading.
"When promises are broken and trust is lost, the relationship can't continue. That's where things are for me right now - and why change is in the best interests of everyone, not just myself."
Isak broke his silence on the ongoing transfer saga with a statement on Instagram
3
Isak broke his silence on the ongoing transfer saga with a statement on InstagramCredit: Instagram
It remains unclear what promises Isak is referring to in relation to potential behind-the-scenes discussions with Newcastle.
However, he believes that the whole story has not been told and that there is more to the saga than meets the eye.
His decision to speak out on the situation also confirms yet again that he wants to leave the club, providing a boost for Liverpool.
Isak's transfer saga
As mentioned, Isak has been trying to force Newcastle's hand throughout the summer as he wants to join Liverpool.
The Magpies rejected a monster bid from the Reds at the start of August, before they appeared to soften their stance when interested in Benjamin Sesko.
However, Sesko joined Manchester United instead and that meant Toon were left scrambling for a new forward, with target Yoane Wissa being blocked from leaving by Brentford.
Isak has his mind set on a move to Liverpool this summer as he refuses to play
3
Isak has his mind set on a move to Liverpool this summer as he refuses to playCredit: PA
Isak's refusal to play left Howe with just one senior striker for their opening game of the season, with a stalemate ongoing.
The Swede has been training alone and now he has released a statement, speaking out against the club.
It appears to be his last attempt to get Newcastle to sell him to Liverpool, with the Reds waiting in the wings to make another offer.
What has Eddie Howe said?
Newcastle boss Howe has been speaking openly about the ongoing saga with his star striker throughout the summer.
And he discussed Isak’s future with talkSPORT after their 0-0 draw with Aston Villa at the weekend.
Howe said: “We’re keen for a resolution because the consistent noise around the team isn’t helpful for any team.
Eddie Howe pleads for 'closure' on Alexander Isak saga as Anthony Gordon sends Liverpool warning
"We’re aware of that, we would like closure on it, but we’re not in charge of when.”
The Magpies manager then added: “We had to change the narrative around us really because everything was negative and sometimes that can consume you.
Read More on talkSPORT
“We've consistently had players here that have fought really hard for the club in difficult circumstances before and we’ve always come through as a better team for it.
“This is a unique situation and a difficult situation for the players to handle but today I think they were brilliant in their response.”