The striker said a move away was ‘in the best interests of everyone’ after a loss of trust between him and the club
Your support helps us to tell the story
Support Now
From reproductive rights to climate change to Big Tech, The Independent is on the ground when the story is developing. Whether it's investigating the financials of Elon Musk's pro-Trump PAC or producing our latest documentary, 'The A Word', which shines a light on the American women fighting for reproductive rights, we know how important it is to parse out the facts from the messaging.
At such a critical moment in US history, we need reporters on the ground. Your donation allows us to keep sending journalists to speak to both sides of the story.
The Independent is trusted by Americans across the entire political spectrum. And unlike many other quality news outlets, we choose not to lock Americans out of our reporting and analysis with paywalls. We believe quality journalism should be available to everyone, paid for by those who can afford it.
Your support makes all the difference.
Alexander Isak has accused Newcastle of breaking promises to him and has said his relationship with the club is damaged beyond repair and that it is in everyone’s best interests he leaves.
The striker tried to force through a move before the end of the transfer window by claiming the Carabao Cup holders had long known what he wanted to do and claimed his private conversations with them had been misrepresented.
Liverpool had a £110m bid for Isak swiftly rejected by Newcastle, whose stance has been that the Sweden international is not for sale, while the Premier League champions have claimed they will not return with a second offer.
Isak has not played for Newcastle in pre-season or in Saturday’s 0-0 draw with Aston Villa, missing their tour of Asia with what was attributed as a minor thigh injury, and was training separately from the rest of the team.
But he blamed Newcastle for the breakdown in their relationship, writing on Instagram: "I've kept quiet for a long time while others have spoken. That silence has allowed people to push their own version of events, even though they know it doesn't reflect what was really said and agreed behind closed doors.
“The reality is that promises were made and the club has known my position for a long time. To now act as if these issues are only emerging is misleading.
“When promises are broken and trust is lost, the relationship can't continue. That's where things are for me right now - and why change is in the best interests of everyone, not just myself.”
Isak claimed his Newcastle teammates have given him their backing during a summer transfer saga.
Manager Eddie Howe has said Isak’s future is out of his hands but called on Saturday for a resolution, saying the 25-year-old could end the current impasse.
Newcastle, meanwhile, began the season without a striker with Isak out of the picture and after failing in their attempts to sign Hugo Ekitike, Benjamin Sesko, Joao Pedro, Liam Delap and Bryan Mbeumo.
Isak scored 23 Premier League goals last season to be voted a member of the PFA team of the season but opted to miss Tuesday’s awards.
He explained: “I'm proud to be recognised by my fellow professionals. First and foremost I want to thank my teammates and everyone at Newcastle United who has supported me along the way. I'm not at the ceremony tonight. With everything going on, it didn't feel right to be there.”
Newcastle host Liverpool on Monday while Arne Slot has said he wants to add one more attacker to his squad this summer.