Alejandro Garnacho is a serious problem for Manchester United, but it is his own career he’s playing with this summer.
It was a mere 12 months ago that Alejandro Garnacho was seen to be the present and future of Manchester United, yet he is now neither.
Garnacho ended his United career after he spoke out against the head coach in the wake of the disappointing 1-0 defeat at the hands of Tottenham in Bilbao last season.
In the aftermath of Garnacho’s comments to an Argentine news outlet, Ruben Amorim told the winger he had to leave. He told Garnacho he’d better “pray” that he was able to find a new club, with no intention of reintegrating the number 17.
Garnacho then became one of the five exiled players under Amorim and he has set his heart on joining Chelsea’s ever since, despite now not having played football in three months ahead of a World Cup year.
Despite the winger remaining at the club, albeit still exiled, Garnacho has no way back at United and United in Focus exclusively revealed in May that it would be a shock if he was at Old Trafford for the 2025/26 season.
Alejandro Garnacho disappointed after the Europa League final
Photo by Ryan Pierse/Getty Images
How Alejandro Garnacho is being viewed by Argentina’s national team staff
Garnacho has had plenty of chances to leave United this summer, however, he has so far failed to agree to an exit.
This sees him without a pre-season and unlikely to play now until mid September. Garnacho was left out of the latest Argentina squad, which should act as a kick into action for any ambitious player ahead of the 2026 World Cup which he will surely be desperate to play in.
More United News
Now, having been snubbed by his national team – unsurprisingly – it has been reported that the Argentina coaches have serious concerns over Garnacho.
Speaking about the decision for Garnacho to not be involved, Argentine journalist Gaston Edul, as quoted by Albiceleste Talk, revealed the coaches are not impressed.
“Alejandro Garnacho is at risk of missing the World Cup. Scaloni and coaching staff see that he’s still missing something.
“They already had him, already tested him, already trained him, they even took him to the Copa América and they feel that Garnacho still hasn’t responded the way he should with the Argentine national team.
“He had a match where they told him: ‘Go in and take players on, break the lines, because you need to prove yourself.’ Show that you can play for the national team against Paraguay, second half, Argentina were already losing.
“That was the game, ‘Take players on, don’t worry if you lose the ball.’ And he played too many passes backwards, he didn’t really go for it..”
Alejandro Garnacho has rejected Bayern Munich
With Garnacho’s national team career now taking a hit, we have to wonder what is going through the winger’s mind right now.
Despite interest from various clubs, he has held out for Chelsea, viewing the London-side as his sole option for some reason.
Now, on Tuesday, Fabrizio Romano has reported that Chelsea are advancing on a deal to sign Garnacho for a fee which could be anywhere between £30m and £50m based on the two clubs’ valuations.
🚨🔵 Chelsea are advancing in club to club talks for Alejandro Garnacho! Deal underway with Man United.
Excellent relationship between United CEO Berrada and Chelsea hierarchy.
Garnacho only wants #CFC and turned down an approach from Bayern in last 48h; no chance. pic.twitter.com/K7LHwECqFj
— Fabrizio Romano (@FabrizioRomano) August 19, 2025
View Tweet
Additionally, the transfer expert mentioned that in the past 48 hours, Garnacho rejected Bayern Munich’s approach, which is ludicrous considering he needs to be playing football.
At Chelsea, Garnacho likely doesn’t start and could very well end up sold in 12 months, but at least he won’t be United’s issue anymore.