liverpool.com

Newcastle issues ruthless Alexander Isak response after statement totally blindsides club

Newcastle United has told Alexander Isak that he won't be leaving the club this summer after the striker broke his silence on social media and issued a statement.

Isak has made it clear to Newcastle that he has no intention of playing for the club again and missed the season's opening game against Aston Villa. Due to uncertainty over his future, Isak has been training in isolation, but head coach Eddie Howe hopes the striker can be reintegrated into the squad.

Howe's optimism has been supported by the club, which was blindsided on Tuesday when Isak released a statement on Instagram explaining his stance. Isak claimed that Newcastle lost his trust and said the relationship could not continue, but the club has clarified that he won't be sold this summer.

The Daily Mail reported Isak's statement caught the Newcastle hierarchy off guard, but the situation hasn't changed. Isak will be informed of the decision, leading to uncertainty over his role this season.

Newcastle drew 0-0 against Villa on Saturday, as Anthony Gordon and new signing Anthony Elanga shared offensive duties in Isak's absence. Newcastle will face Liverpool on Monday, Isak's intended destination.

Liverpool saw a $148 million bid rejected for Isak earlier this summer, and the club is prepared to submit a new offer. However, Newcastle will only entertain a sale if a suitable replacement can be signed before the end of the window.

Isak wants to join Liverpool but Newcastle has no plans to sell

Isak wants to join Liverpool but Newcastle has no plans to sell (Image: Getty Images)

Newcastle has missed several targets this summer, with Liam Delap, Joao Pedro, Benjamin Sesko and Hugo Ekitike opting to sign elsewhere. Liverpool signed Ekitike before the club attempted to lure Isak to Anfield.

While Brentford striker Yoane Wissa remains heavily linked with Newcastle, and Chelsea forward Nicolas Jackson has been discussed, no marquee signings have been made in that position. Should that change, Isak may be granted his move, but Newcastle has stood firm after seeing his statement.

Isak was named to the PFA Team of the Year on Tuesday but was absent from the awards ceremony. Shortly after his inclusion, Isak released a statement on social media, continuing to push for an immediate transfer.

"I'm proud to be recognised by my fellow professionals with a place in the PFA Premier League Team of the Season for 2024/25," Isak wrote. "First and foremost I want to thank my teammates and everyone at Newcastle United who has supported me along the way.

“I'm not at the ceremony tonight. With everything going on, it didn't feel right to be there. I've kept quiet for a long time while others have spoken.

"That silence has allowed people to push their own version of events, even though they know it doesn't reflect what was really said and agreed behind closed doors. The reality is that promises were made and the club has known my position for a long time.

"To now act as if these issues are only emerging is misleading. When promises are broken and trust is lost, the relationship can't continue. That's where things are for me right now and why change is in the best interests of everyone, not just myself."

Read full news in source page