Alexander Isak's statement, dropped just as Mohamed Salah was collecting the PFA Player of the Year award, was so strongly worded and out of the blue that you had to double-check that it wasn't from a fake account.
But no, the Liverpool transfer target really had written the message on his Instagram story. In around 160 words, he claimed that he had been promised a new contract but that one had not been forthcoming, and insisted — as Sweden boss Jon Dahl Tomasson had hinted earlier in the week — that the full truth of this summer's saga is yet to emerge.
"The reality is that promises were made and the club has known my position for a long time," Isak wrote. "To now act as if these issues are only emerging is misleading."
Just to make sure there was no confusion, Isak added: "When promises are broken and trust is lost, the relationship can't continue. That's where things are for me right now — and why change is in the best interests of everyone, not just myself."
Newcastle United, however, has insisted all along that Isak was not for sale and reiterated that stance in an official statement Tuesday. He still has three years remaining on his contract and so far, every striker the Magpies have targeted in this window has either gone elsewhere, or seen their potential transfer blocked.
The feeling has always been that Liverpool would only return with an improved offer for Isak if the door was opened. And now Isak has firmly put the ball in Newcastle's court.
Alexander Isak of Newcastle United arrives
Alexander Isak has finally addressed the transfer saga (Image: Stu Forster/Getty Images)
There can be no ambiguity about the statement that he has released. His words were in no way minced. As far as Isak sees the situation, his time in the North East is over.
But that Isak felt the need to put out such a statement perhaps tells its own story too. There are now under two weeks until the transfer deadline, and Newcastle has shown no signs yet of softening its stance.
The player, by going public and breaking his silence, has played his final card. And Newcastle still insists that he is going nowhere.
Eddie Howe said at the weekend that Isak was free to make his return to the group whenever he wanted. But going back and playing for Newcastle again after this would mean quite the climbdown.
This article contains affiliate links, we will receive a commission on any sales we generate from it. Learn more
Liverpool FC 2025/26 kits
At the same time, Isak would not have made such a move if he didn't feel it was necessary to attempt to force his club's hand. As Gary Lineker said even before this latest development, things have got "messy".
In the best-case scenario for all parties, Newcastle would be able to bring in a couple of replacements and Isak would depart. If he does go, Liverpool knows it will take a British record fee.
But even despite the public show of discontent, nothing is decided yet. Isak has played his hand, and now he must wait — like Liverpool — for what comes next.