manchestercity.news

Player Man City sold for £15m now closing in on Premier League return, was once deemed as good…

A player Manchester City sold for just £15million is now set to return to the Premier League after a stint at Juventus.

Manchester City have had so much talent in their ranks over the years that they have had to make some tough decisions with some players.

The likes of Cole Palmer, Michael Olise, Morgan Rogers, Jeremie Frimpong and Romeo Lavia were all on City’s books in the past.

Douglas Luiz was also on City’s books, going on to shine at Aston Villa before heading to Juventus.

Although things didn’t work out for him at Juve, he is now set to make his return to the Premier League.

Manchester City midfielder Douglas Luiz (39) handles the ball during an International Champions Cup match between Manchester City and Borussia Dortmund on July 20, 2018 at Soldier Field in Chicago, Illinois.

Photo by Robin Alam/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images

Fabrizio Romano says Nottingham Forest are closing in on Douglas Luiz

Fabrizio Romano took to X on Tuesday night to report that the final details of Luiz’s move to Nottingham Forest are being sorted.

More Man City News

The transfer insider reported that Luiz “only wants” Forest, with just a few “small details” being ironed out before the green light for his medical would be given.

“Almost there,” concluded Romano.

🚨🌳 Nottingham Forest and Douglas Luiz, deal almost done! Final details being sorted and then… here we go.

Douglas only wants #NFFC and the two clubs are finalising small details ahead of green light to travel for medical.

Almost there. 🔜🇧🇷 pic.twitter.com/KjGSXCBxyp

— Fabrizio Romano (@FabrizioRomano) August 19, 2025

View Tweet

READ MORE: Man City trump Liverpool in £1.2bn development, Khaldoon Al-Mubarak’s vision is crystal clear

Why Manchester City failed to sign Douglas Luiz in January

City have been linked with Luiz numerous times since selling him to Villa for £15million in 2019.

Several years ago, there were rumours of City potentially triggering Luiz’s buyback clause, though they never went ahead with it.

Apparently, City did not feel Luiz had done enough at Villa Park to trigger the £30million clause, and allowed it to expire in 2021.

Luiz went on to shine for Villa, with Owen Hargreaves even going on to claim the Brazilian was on par with Declan Rice.

“Douglas Luiz has put himself into a category now after Rodri and along with Declan Rice as the elite defensive midfield players in the Premier League,” he told Premier League Productions in 2024.

However, earlier this year, City reportedly made their move for Luiz in the wake of Rodri’s injury.

According to The Times, City stepped up their pursuit of the Juve man by submitting a loan ‘offer’ for his services.

However, the bid was reportedly ‘rejected out of hand’ by the Serie A giants as it did not include an obligation to buy.

Read full news in source page