All the latest Newcastle United transfer news as Eddie Howe looks to strengthen his frontline this summer
Yoane Wissa during a Brentford game
Yoane Wissa remains a transfer target for Newcastle(Image: Photo by Dan Istitene/Getty Images)
Yoane Wissa continues to be heavily linked with a move to Newcastle United. While the Brentford striker may be viewed as a potential replacement for Alexander Isak, he emerged as a target for the Magpies following the expiry of Callum Wilson's contract.
Eddie Howe has been eager to bolster his attacking options, but he's had some rotten luck this summer. Chelsea snatched Joao Pedro from Brighton at the start of July before Liverpool and Manchester United wrapped up deals for Hugo Ekitike and Benjamin Sesko, respectively.
Nicolas Jackson, Jorgen Strand Larsen and Samu Aghehowa have been mooted as options, but it remains to be seen whether they are genuinely attainable in the final week or so of the transfer window. The Blues' asking price for Jackson has proven to be an issue, Norway international Strand Larsen has shown no sign that he wants to leave Wolves, while Porto forward Aghehowa appears to have recently suffered an injury.
Wissa, however, has made himself available to the Magpies. So, with that being said, ChronicleLive has rounded up everything you need to know about Wissa and a potential transfer to Newcastle.
Wissa makes Brentford feelings clear
Wissa, who was not involved in Brentford's 3-1 defeat to Nottingham Forest on Sunday, has unfollowed the club on social media, changed his profile picture to black and removed all club photos from his Instagram account as he looks to force a move.
Brentford and Newcastle battle
According to talkSPORT, Brentford are continuing to block Wissa from joining Newcastle this summer. The report claims that the Bees view Dango Ouattara, who they just signed from Bournemouth for £42m, as a replacement for Bryan Mbeumo.
It's said that Brentford don't plan to sanction the 28-year-old's move to St. James' Park without signing a new forward, or unless the Magpies up their bid to at least £60m. talkSPORT reckons that Newcastle will resume talks this week, knowing Wissa wants to join.
However, the report adds that the Magpies don't plan to offer more than £40m for the DR Congo international, who has a year left on his contract at the G-Tech Community Stadium. Brentford have the option to extend his deal by a further year.
According to GiveMeSport journalist Ben Jacobs, last year, Brentford told Wissa that he could leave the club for for £26m (€30m) after agreeing to stay when Ivan Toney joined Al-Ahli. The report claims that the forward is unhappy with the Bees, having now bumped up his price tag.
Content Image
Content Image
Andrews wants Wissa to stay
In a recent interview with talkSPORT, Keith Andrews provided an update on Wissa's future. The new Brentford boss, who worked closely with the striker last season as a set-piece coach, said: "I have got a good relationship with Wiss.
"I worked really hard with him last year to try and find goals. Seven of his 19 goals last year came from set pieces. He owes me really, so he shouldn't be going anywhere, to be blunt!"
Isak twist
Isak and Newcastle traded statements on Tuesday evening with the former saying on social media that "change is in the best interests of everyone, not just myself."
No resolution to this saga is expected any time soon as the Magpies continue their efforts to beef up their attack with Wissa a target.
"We are disappointed to have been alerted to a social media post by Alexander Isak this evening," Newcastle said in response. "We are clear in response that Alex remains under contract and that no commitment has ever been made by a club official that Alex can leave Newcastle United this summer.
"We want to keep our best players, but we also understand players have their own wishes and we listen to their views.
"As explained to Alex and his representatives, we must always take into consideration the best interests of Newcastle United, the team and our supporters in all decisions and we have been clear that the conditions of a sale this summer have not transpired. We do not foresee those conditions being met.
"This is a proud football club with proud traditions and we strive to retain our family feel. Alex remains part of our family and will be welcomed back when he is ready to rejoin his teammates."
Howe addresses striker pursuit
Speaking at the weekend, Howe provided an update on Newcastle's search for a new striker. The Magpies boss said: "It seems like the striker market every year gets tighter and tighter.
"Maybe that's because we've continued to grow as a team. Anyone coming in to make us better, there aren't many available of that calibre and when they are potentially available the price seems to go up and up and up.
"Then you're dealt other challenges: PSR, how much you spend in one window, the long term effects if we do make a transfer. So it's not as clear as going out and getting any player. They have to fit the team, make us better and be affordable, so that's not a large group of players."
Asked whether he expects progress on the striker front in the next week, Howe said: "Expect is the wrong word. We are working hard to bring more players in. It would probably be more hope than expectation.
"It's been my wish to get a striker in. We needed to replace Callum Wilson. We've been looking to replace a striker to replace Callum. Callum is a big miss, not just his playing ability but his personality. That's what we're looking to do."