liverpoolecho.co.uk

'Newcastle's fans sang for me to stay in pre-season– but I knew I had to join Liverpool'

Georginio Wijnaldum made the move from Newcastle to Liverpool almost a decade before Alexander Isak's ongoing transfer saga involving the two clubs, though the Dutchman claims there was a key difference

Georginio Wijnaldum of Liverpool after signing his contract at Melwood Training Ground

Georginio Wijnaldum knew he had to join Liverpool when they came calling

(Image: 2016 Liverpool FC)

One player who may sympathise with Alexander Isak’s efforts to force through a move from Newcastle to Liverpool is Anfield hero Georginio Wijnaldum. Isak has been the subject of endless speculation this summer, with the Reds considered to be the frontrunners to secure his signature if he ends up leaving the north east club.

But his transfer is proving tricky to pull off despite the striker informing Newcastle of his desire to leave, with a £110million bid from Liverpool earlier this month being swiftly rejected. The saga has developed into a messy one, with the relationship between club and player deteriorating as Eddie Howe left Isak out of the side’s pre-season fixtures and the Swede since training alone.

Isak was absent from Newcastle’s Premier League opening weekend fixture against Aston Villa, where chants from his own supporters labelled him as “greedy”. On Tuesday, the 25-year-old released a bombshell statement in which he hinted at not playing for Newcastle again, saying "promises have been broken" and "trust has been lost”.

One of several players to have made the move from St James’ Park to Anfield in the past is Wijnaldum, who the Magpies faithful once also implored to stay. The Dutch midfielder, now at Al-Ettifaq, was signed by the Reds for a fee of £25m following Newcastle’s relegation in 2016.

He went on to play a key role in the following seasons as Liverpool won the Premier League and Champions League - trophies Isak no doubt covets too. Unsurprisingly, Wijnaldum had no regrets over joining Jurgen Klopp’s Reds, but remained grateful for the role Newcastle played in his development and claimed he did not force a move away.

Alexander Isak celebrates after scoring a goal for Newcastle United

Alexander Isak could follow in Gini Wijnaldum's footsteps(Image: Alex Livesey/Getty Images)

Wijnaldum told the ECHO ahead of his 2017 return to play his former side: “I remember my last game for Newcastle in the pre-season when their fans were singing that they wanted me to stay.

"But when the opportunity came to play for a great club like Liverpool with such a great history I had to take it. I hope they understand why I made that choice to go to Liverpool.

“When the previous season at Newcastle ended, I said publicly that I wouldn’t force a move. When Liverpool came in for me I made up my mind that I wanted to come here, but I wasn’t going to force it because I appreciated what Newcastle and their fans did for me.”

He added: “It’s always a special game when you play against your previous club. It was only one year at Newcastle but that time there meant a lot to me. I met some great people who helped me to play good games in the Premier League and it was because of them I got the move to Liverpool.”

Gini Wijnaldum celebrates for Newcastle

Wijnaldum spent one season at Newcastle(Image: Getty)

Despite his warm comments about his year-long stint in Newcastle and not pushing for a move, as Isak is perceived to have done, the 34-year-old was accused of lacking fight and commitment before jumping ship by the Newcastle fans.

Isak has enjoyed a far greater impact in his three years with Newcastle, being one of the Premier League's standout performers and scoring in the Carabao Cup final to end their long trophy drought.

In his first game back on Tyneside, Wijnaldum struck the post but struggled to have a meaningful impact in front of a raucous home crowd, who booed him whenever the two clubs met going forwards.

Wijnaldum went on to make 237 appearances for Liverpool, scoring 22 goals, including two against Barcelona in the 2018/19 Champions League semi-final second leg comeback as Liverpool went through 4–3 on aggregate.

Read full news in source page