express.co.uk

Liverpool and Newcastle controversial insider lifts lid on Alexander Isak outcome

A former Liverpool and Newcastle player believes it will not be easy for the Magpies to keep hold of Alexander Isak this summer. The wantaway striker is desperate to join the Reds, who have been chasing a move throughout the summer window. Last month, they saw a nine-figure bid rejected with Newcastle holding out for a record-breaking transfer fee.

They are determined to avoid selling Isak unless their demands are met, having set a reported asking price of £150m. Isak is growing frustrated with the lack of progress and has taken the nuclear option in a desperate bid to force an exit. He released a public statement on Tuesday night, referencing 'broken promises' from Newcastle's leadership and pleading for a clean break.

Newcastle later issued a statement of their own in response to Isak, doubling down on their intention to keep him and insisting that no agreement was made to let him leave St James' Park this summer.

Michael Owen, who played for both clubs during his career, has argued that Isak cannot be blamed for wanting to take the next step in his career. The one-time Ballon d'Or winner also suggested that it will be difficult for the Magpies to keep an unhappy player.

"This is not a strange scenario, it's a high-profile scenario, but it's the same scenario as what happens all the time," Owen told AskGamblers.

"There are a lot of simple things that go into the discussion. From Newcastle's point of view, they've got a player who's under contract and they've got to weigh up the balance of the finances, what they could receive, maybe having an unhappy player, or maybe keeping someone against his will.

"I've been in the position of being a footballer and I can't blame people for being ambitious. If people weren't, if people were just in it for money and weren't that bothered, we wouldn't have a great game. Football wouldn't be the game it is.

"The whole point is that everybody strives to be the best they can be, to play for the best teams they can, and try to win as many medals as possible in their short career. So, I can't blame players for wanting to excel and better themselves.

"Obviously, one thing is that Newcastle still has his services for about three years left on his contract, so they do hold a lot of power. However, we've seen before that when players want something, demand something, it's not easy to keep an unhappy player."

Isak has reportedly told Newcastle that he is refusing to play for them in protest about the handling of his situation. Only time will tell if the long-running saga is resolved by the time the window closes.

Meanwhile, it has been claimed that Wolves attacker Jorgen Strand Larsen has been identified as a potential replacement for Isak. Newcastle are said to have already conducted background checks but Wolves have no desire to sell the 25-year-old.

For the latest breaking stories and headlines, sign up to our Daily Express transfer newsletter.

Read full news in source page