chroniclelive.co.uk

Newcastle United make fresh £40m Yoane Wissa bid as confidence grows on deal

The Magpies are reported to have made a second offer for the striker

Newcastle United are keen on Brentford's Yoane Wissa

Newcastle United are keen on Brentford's Yoane Wissa

Newcastle United have made an improved offer for Brentfiord's Yoane Wissa and are awaiting a response from the Bees over the striker. The Magpies are desperate to bring more firepower to the club following Alexander Isak's transfer bombshell and have identified Wissa as a top target.

Initial talks ended with the two clubs some way off on their valuation of the 28-year-old, with Brentford keen to bring in replacements before allowing a deal to progress any further.

They have now added Dango Ouattara to their squad, and Sky Sports report Newcastle have returned with a substantial bid for the Democratic Republic of Congo striker.

The offer is said to be a £40m package of £35 up front with £5m worth of add-ons, with Wissa said to be keen on a move to St James' Park.

Rather like the situation United face with Isak, Wissa has not been involved with Brentford in pre-season and was left out of their opening Premier League match at Nottingham Forest on Sunday.

Content Image

Content Image

He took the unusual step of deleting Brentford-related posts from his social media accounts on Monday, and has made his desire to move to Newcastle clear to new Bees boss Keith Andrews.

United had seen an opening bid of £25m turned down by Brentford last month, but the two clubs have remained in dialogue.

Now, with Monday's game against Liverpool looming, there is growing confidence that a deal can be struck in the coming days.

Newcastle have been linked with several frontmen this summer, with initial plans to replace Callum Wilson magnified by Isak's refusal to be involved in pre-season plans.

Wolves striker Jorgen Strand Larson is said to be high on their wishlist, although it remains to be seen whether that will translate into a transfer bid.

Eddie Howe was forced into playing Anthony Gordon out of position as a central striker against Aston Villa last weekend, and although the England star performed well at Villa Park, it was clear Newcastle were missing a cutting edge in the goalless draw.

Newcastle are running out of time to get any new recruits in before Liverpool, with Howe no doubt keen to give any new signings time with the squad before throwing them into the first team.

They will now await a response from Brentford but there is said to be optimism that this bid is closer to their asking price.

Read full news in source page