Newcastle United legend Alan Shearer has offered his strong view on Alexander Isak's future at St James' Park amid transfer links with Liverpool this summer
Alexander Isak faces an uncertain future at Newcastle United amid transfer links with Liverpool this summer
(Image: Getty Images)
Alan Shearer has delivered a passionate verdict on Alexander Isak's future at Newcastle United amid interest from Liverpool this summer. The transfer saga took a dramatic turn on Tuesday night when the Newcastle forward released a statement on social media.
Isak was conspicuously absent from Newcastle's Premier League opener against Aston Villa on Saturday. The ECHO's sister site ChronicleLive reports the club are contemplating their next steps.
The Swedish striker, valued at £150 million, has recovered from the groin injury that kept him out of the pre-season tour to the Far East. However, reports suggest he is keen on a move to Anfield before the summer transfer window closes on 1 September.
In a statement shared on social media on Tuesday, the 25-year-old seemed to imply that promises had been broken behind the scenes. Newcastle refuted this in their response to his remarks.
And Magpies legend Shearer has also laid the blame at Isak's agent when asked for his response to the situation which has engulfed Newcastle's start to the 2025/26 campaign.
"I mean, oh my God, what a f*****g mess his agent has made of this, honestly," Shearer told Betfair. "If I was him, I’d get his agent in a room and sack him on the spot immediately, because he is meant to be giving him the advice to sign that six‑year deal and there’s no get‑out clause.
Find more about Andy Carroll makes 'shame' claim over Alexander Isak to Liverpool transfer conduct
Find more about Liverpool 'learn' Alexander Isak transfer conditions after major Newcastle United 'update'
Find more about Alexander Isak in awkward situation as Liverpool icons reach agreement on Newcastle star
Content Image
"I mean, it’s ridiculous. And to take anyone’s word in football… it’s nonsensical to say that someone said, “Oh, I’ll be able to get out at the end of the season.” Really? I mean, come on."
When discussing Isak's controversial statement, he said: "I just think even releasing this statement last night has thrown flames onto the fire, which he didn’t need to do.
"I get that we needed to hear his side of the story and we’ve heard that now, and I’m not saying I don’t believe him or I don’t believe Newcastle, I’m just saying it’s very, very messy for him and for the football club. It doesn’t benefit anyone.
"I still don’t think it’s the right way of going about things to get out of a football club. There are ways and means of doing it. As far as I’m aware he still hasn’t put in a written transfer request. Is there a reason for that?
"I don’t know whether it’s still the case that if you do that, you lose out financially because you don’t get bonuses. Is that a thing that he perhaps should look at? I don’t know. But whatever he’s doing and saying, and whoever’s advising him, for me, it’s not the right way."
There are now some question marks over whether Isak will play for his current club again. When asked for his view on this, Shearer added: "I said a couple of days ago, and it’s a big if because clearly he wants out, that if he were to apologise and get back into the group before the end of the transfer window, then there would be a way back for him.
"But if he’s still here after the transfer window, I can’t see how you come back from that. He clearly wants to get out and is willing to do anything to do that.
"The club obviously want what they want and what Eddie wants, and they've clearly said that is to have a world‑class player back into their squad for however long. Maybe that’s a season, whatever it is, because Isak needs to be playing football. He can’t sit and rot in the reserves for six to twelve months.
"It’s very, very messy and it’s not helping anyone, least of all Eddie Howe and the players, which are the most important thing."