manchesterworld.uk

Fabrizio Romano: Man Utd exit talks underway for player to join Napoli as star 'keen on move'

Manchester United manager Ruben Amorim.placeholder image

Manchester United manager Ruben Amorim. | Getty Images

Manchester United are looking to offload several players before the September 1 transfer deadline

Manchester United make the trip to Fulham on Sunday afternoon as they look to get the first win of the 2025-26 Premier League campaign under their belts.

The Red Devils lost 1-0 to Arsenal on the opening day but showed encouraging signs in attacking areas with Matheus Cunha and Bryan Mbeumo both starting at Old Trafford. Benjamin Sesko came off the bench in the second half after he rejected a move to Newcastle United earlier this month in order to sign for the Red Devils.

Rasmus Hojlund was left out of the squad as he watched the game from the stands. The striker, who joined United from £72m from Atalanta two years ago, is deemed surplus to requirements following the signing of Sesko and is free to leave Old Trafford.

Napoli open talks to sign Rasmus Hojlund from Man Utd

However, Fabrizio Romano has reported that talks are now underway for Serie A title winners Napoli to sign Hojlund. The Italian club did business with United last summer to sign Scott McTominay with the midfielder playing a huge role as Napoli clinched the Italian top-flight title.

In an update on X, Romano said: “Napoli have made new contact with Man United today for Rasmus Højlund deal, talks underway. Højlund’s camp also in talks with Napoli as player’s keen on the move while also wants guarantees to stay at the club in future, not a simple loan. Negotiations ongoing.”

Hojlund has told interested clubs he prefers an initial loan exit, as Romano added: “Rasmus Højlund and his camp have made clear to Napoli, RB Leipzig, AC Milan and all clubs interested that he prefers loan with obligation to buy.

“Højlund always wanted to stay at Man United…but if he has to leave, want move to be guaranteed to feel total confidence.”

AC Milan close in on Victor Boniface - as Hojlund’s hopes of San Siro move dwindle

One club Hojlund looks like he will not be joining is AC Milan. The San Siro club had reportedly reached a verbal agreement to sign him but now they, per BBC Sport, are “on the brink of completing a loan move” for Bayer Leverkusen striker Victor Boniface.

The report goes on to add that Hojlund himself had stalled on the deal because it did not include an obligation to buy. AC Milan have turned to Boniface as an alternative option.

"At United, if you don't do what's required, a team-mate will take your place," Amorim said after Hojlund was left out against Arsenal. "I've made a lot of mistakes, but I've shown that if you deserve it, you play."

The Red Devils manager added: "He [Hojlund] has to fight for his place. We will see what's going to happen in the market. Rasmus has the same characteristics as Ben, so sometimes we need to chose."

Continue Reading

Read full news in source page