Former Newcastle United striker Alan Shearer believes wantaway striker Alexander Isak needs to “sack” his agent immediately after his recent statement.
Isak and Newcastle transfer latest
The Swedish striker has been trying to force a move out of St James’ Park all summer but was frustrated earlier this month when the Magpies rejected an offer from Liverpool, reportedly worth £110m plus add-ons.
Liverpool-Isak-Slot
Liverpool Graphic
Isak missed Newcastle’s Premier League opener against Aston Villa last weekend and looks set to be absent once again as the Reds visit St James’ Park on Monday evening.
Earlier in the week, Isak put out a statement, believing Newcastle have “broken” their promise this summer and the “trust is lost”.
“The reality is that promises were made and the club has known my position for a long time. To act now as if these issues are only emerging is misleading. When promises are broken and trust is lost, the relationship can’t continue.”
Newcastle responded by denying that Isak had been granted any assurances over a potential move. “We are clear in response that Alex remains under contract and that no commitment has ever been made by a club official that Alex can leave Newcastle United this summer.”
The transfer window shuts on September 1, so there could be more to this transfer saga before the deadline, although Newcastle are now adamant selling Isak is now not possible, despite bidding for Brentford's Yoane Wissa.
Shearer reacts to Isak and Newcastle latest
Speaking this week, relayed by PA Media, Shearer said the situation is now an “absolute mess” as he pointed the finger at Isak’s agent Vlado Lemic.
“If I was him, I’d get his agent in a room and sack him on the spot immediately, because he is meant to be giving him the advice to sign that six-year deal and there’s no get out clause.
“I mean, it’s ridiculous. And to take anyone’s word in football… it’s nonsensical to say that someone said, ‘Oh, I’ll be able to get out at the end of the season’. Really? I mean, come on. I’ve always said there are two sides to every story, but my feelings are exactly the same: he’s gone about it in the wrong way.
“I just think even releasing this statement last night has thrown flames onto the fire, which he didn’t need to do. I get that we needed to hear his side of the story and we’ve heard that now, and I’m not saying I don’t believe him or I don’t believe Newcastle, I’m just saying it’s very, very messy for him and for the football club. It doesn’t benefit anyone.”
Isak’s current contract runs until 2028, and with no release clause, Newcastle hold all the cards in the final days of the window.