Liverpool has been urged to continue to try and get a deal for Alexander Isak over the line — because he is a Premier League-hardened player.
Hugo Ekitike led the line in the Community Shield against Crystal Palace before also doing so against Bournemouth in the Reds' top-flight opener against Bournemouth last Friday. Ekitike scored in both games, but was also withdrawn in both games as his body is not yet ready to stand up to the rigors of elite soccer in England.
The signs from Ekitike have been hugely encouraging, and it is only a matter of time before he is ready to play a full game, but former Premier League striker Louis Saha believes Liverpool would be better off with Isak through the middle for now.
Saha told Adventure Gamers: "Hugo Ekitike is a special player, but even he himself said during an interview that the Premier League is a different beast.
"So, even after 60 or 70 minutes, he had cramp.
"He will have to adapt, which is not the case for Alexander Isak. Isak knows the Premier League, he will straight away create this partnership with any other players on Liverpool's side.
"Liverpool have such a deep squad, and are able to field so many players to score goals, just look at Federico Chiesa.
"I don't think that I'm scared for them, but eventually when things are getting tight and difficult, they definitely need a top player like Isak. But it's going to be the same for Newcastle.
"Newcastle need the money to straight away have an agreement with one or two to replace such a quality player like Isak."
Hugo Ekitike has scored twice in two games for Liverpool
Hugo Ekitike has scored twice in two games for Liverpool (Image: PA)
Swedish striker Isak is desperate to leave Newcastle to join Liverpool, and has not trained with his current teammates since before the Magpies' preseason tour of China, which began almost a month ago.
Isak's situation at Newcastle has turned extremely messy, with the player and the club each giving their side of the story in statements issued earlier this week.
Isak went first, explaining his absence from the PFA awards night in Manchester as he accused Newcastle of "breaking promises" by standing in his way of an exit from the club.
The North East outfit then hit back with a statement of its own, claiming the conditions of a summer sale have not been met.
Newcastle's statement finished by saying that Isak will be welcomed back to Eddie Howe's squad when he is ready, but there has been little to suggest that that will happen any time soon.