Harry Maguire has said that it would be “silly” to leave a rebuilding Manchester United side after confirming that the club have blocked an exit for the defender this summer.
The 32-year-old came close to leaving Old Trafford in 2023 after the Red Devils allegedly accepted an offer from West Ham United, but he decided to reject a move to the London Stadium.
Maguire regained the trust of former head coach Erik ten Hag and has since featured regularly under current boss Ruben Amorim, playing in 22 of Man United’s 26 Premier League games last season following the Portuguese’s arrival in November 2024.
Man United triggered an extension to Maguire’s contract in January, keeping him at Old Trafford until June 2026, and there have been suggestions that the centre-back could be handed a fresh deal by the club.
Maguire has revealed that there has been interest in his services this summer, with Ligue 1 duo Monaco and Marseille alleged to have been among his suitors, but Man United’s hierarchy have made it clear that the England international will not leave the club.
Harry Maguire of Manchester United after his side's Europa League match against Lyon, on April 17, 2025
Maguire coy on long-term future at “amazing” Man Utd
Man United’s No.5 has a preferred option in his mind for when he wants to continue his career, but he has decided to keep quiet on his future plans as he is focused on representing the Red Devils.
Speaking at the Manchester United Foundation Camp in Stretford, Maguire said: “Last year, the (contract) clause was in their hands, so there was no option for me there. There was no talking. It was just they activated it and it got extended.
“This year, obviously I’m up at the end of the year. I’m pretty sure the club have made it aware this summer that I can’t leave the club on any terms, with other clubs enquiring about my things and my position with my contract.
“I’m sure over the next few months they’ll sit down, and we’ll have to have a conversation about where we want to go and if they want to extend or obviously the transfer window will open again in January.
“Obviously I have something in my mind about what I want to do and what I want to be.
“I don’t want to put it out there to everybody, but it’s an amazing club to play for and you’d be silly if you wanted to jump out of it as soon as you could.”
Manchester United centre-back Harry Maguire celebrates scoring against Leicester City on February 7, 2025
Maguire: ‘Man United are in a good place’
Maguire was asked whether Man United indicated he was staying this summer despite interest, and he replied: “Yes. I think there was a couple of clubs who maybe enquired or spoke with them and I think they got a quick response.
“We’re in a good place, positive as a club and I feel like the hierarchy has come in and Jason (Wilcox, director of football) and the manager, I feel like they’re taking it in the right direction."
"Since I started six years ago to now, it's in a completely different place in terms of the structure behind the management staff. We're in a good place. A lot better place."
Maguire has made a total of 247 appearances for Man United across all competitions since joining the club from Leicester City for £80m in July 2019, including his latest outing as a substitute in last weekend’s 1-0 defeat to Arsenal in their opening match of the new Premier League season.
While Maguire is set to stay at Old Trafford, the likes of Alejandro Garnacho, Antony and Rasmus Hojlund are all likely to depart before the September 1 transfer deadline, with the former said to be pushing to join Chelsea.
ID:579740:1false2false3false: from db desktop :LenBod:collect5650: