newcastleworld.com

‘Nothing to do with the media’ - Liverpool aware of potential Newcastle United threat

Newcastle United face Liverpool on Monday for a highly anticipated Premier League clash.

Arne Slot is expecting a tough challenge at Newcastle United regardless of whether Alexander Isak starts on Monday.​

Unsurprisingly, the Swede is not set to feature as he continues to down tools on Tyneside. Liverpool are ironically the club trying to sign Isak before the window closes on September 1.​

Isak has not kicked a ball for the Magpies since May, having abandoned the club’s pre-season tour and opening Premier League fixture against Aston Villa. An exchange of strongly worded statements earlier this week saw the 25-year-old break his silence - with Newcastle almost immediately firing back.​

Arne Slot on Newcastle United challenge

​Liverpool boss Slot anticipates an “intense” challenge when his team visit St James’ Park on Monday. When asked whether the media speculation will energise Newcastle, he said: “(It has) nothing to do with what's in the media. When you go to Newcastle, you know what to expect. We played them three times last season and twice their intensity levels were above us. ​

“In the away game (last season), for the first 60 minutes, they were so, so, so intense. In the League Cup final, they were more intense than us as well. ​I don't think they need anything add to be intense at St James' Park. It's a very good team. They can make it a fight.

“They have players who are so comfortable on the ball. (They are) one of the best teams and one of the most difficult away games you can have in a season, especially under the lights.​

Newcastle United have lots of options​

Slot also pointed towards other attacking options - aside from Isak - as a reason why Newcastle are dangerous. He added: “I don’t think they are a club with troubles. They had a very good start to the season against (Aston) Villa. The fans will be there. ​

“Although, I assume, Isak is not playing, they still have Anthony Gordon as a No.9, Anthony Elanga as a right-winger and (Harvey) Barnes from the left. This is the Premier League, we all have a lot of options, Newcastle have them as well.”​

Read More

Arne Slot on Alexander Isak

​As expected, the Dutchman was grilled on the Isak saga that is dominating world football. Slot stayed coy on the subject but vowed Liverpool are ready to strike if the right player becomes available.​

“No, I don’t think so (whether it will be a busy couple of weeks),” he said. “I should not be unhappy with the squad we have. I’m very happy. Having two per position is ideal, but I prefer less than more, because you have to disappoint so many players.​

“I’m really happy with the squad but, as always, if we think we can improve and there is a player available that can really make us better, then this club has always shown we can bring these players in.​“But only if it (meets) everything we want). The right transfer fee, the right player, the right position and a player that wants to come to us.”

Continue Reading

Read full news in source page