Latest Liverpool transfer news as Oliver Glasner and Crystal Palace chairman Steve Parish discuss Marc Guehi's future
Marc Guehi.
Steve Parish and Oliver Glasner have discussed Marc Guehi's future amid Liverpool interest.
(Image: Photo by Ryan Pierse/Getty Images)
Crystal Palace manager Oliver Glasner says Liverpool transfer target Marc Guehi 'has to stay' as links over an exit continue. The Reds have just over a week to complete their dealings before the window slams shut and chairman Steve Parish has admitted they'll be in a difficult situation if he doesn't sign a new deal.
Liverpool have been in talks with their Premier League rivals over a move for the England defender. Guehi could leave on a free transfer at the end of this season, leaving the Austrian's side in a dilemma where they face losing their captain upon the conclusion of his contract.
After a draw on the opening day of the season, Guehi was in action despite the speculation as Palace kicked off their European campaign with a 1-0 win over Norwegian side Fredrikstad on Thursday night.
But the south London side are facing the prospect of losing Ebere Eze after Arsenal and Tottenham Hotspur expressed an interest in the forward. However, in light of an injury set-back for Kai Havertz, reports suggest the Gunners are set to beat their north London rivals to his signature.
Palace need to sign reinforcements, in a summer already deemed underwhelming in some quarters, as they look to build on their FA Cup and Community Shield success but face a race against time.
Speaking after the game, Glasner insisted that his captain has to stay for the second-leg against the Norwegian side next Thursday.
"We are very, very late. It's 10 days to go [until the transfer window closes] to find the right replacements," said Glasner. "I think we could have done much better than we did. It's no criticism, it's just telling facts.
"Today, we had 17 on-field players available. One from the academy, two players we already told that they should leave the club. So that means we're with 14 [players] and having six games from the 10th of August until the 31st.
"This group, I know we can rely on them. I trust them completely. But it's really not the best way you should start into the season. With the results, third game, no defeat, that's all good. But I think we are below the edge.
"I just know if Marc leaves and is not available for Frederikstad, we will have big troubles. That's pretty clear. We can't register anyone. So from my side, he has to stay.
"We played with Jeff Lerma in the back today. He's a midfield player. We have no centre-back available at the moment. If Marc leaves, I will try my boots because I was a centre-back, and this could be a good option. I will think about it."
Chairman Steve Parish has previously admitted that they face a big decision over the 25-year-old and missing out on financial windfall from his move.
Speaking after the Community Shield win over Liverpool, Parish claimed that could have to sell Guehi and following their first-leg win over Fredrikstad, Parish reaffirmed that they're in a 'difficult' situation.
“If Marc wants to sign a contract, he can stay,” he said.
"If he doesn’t, then we have to look at it. It’s a difficult situation.
“If you are in Europe, the financial rules are a lot tighter than the Premier League. Everybody has to sell players to comply.
“Players leaving on a free is not ideal, I’m not going to pretend it is. That’s a situation we have to look at in the next eleven days.”