Newcastle United striker Alexander Isak has escalated his row with his club as he pushes for a transfer to Liverpool
Newcastle United forward Alexander Isak.
Newcastle United forward Alexander Isak.(Image: George Wood/Getty Images)
Alexander Isak has escalated his row with Newcastle United in a bid to force a move this summer, saying that 'promises have been broken' and that there's no way back for Isak into the Magpies' squad - and some fans in the Liverpool Echo comments section reckon that they should have accepted the Reds' first offer and avoided the worst of the saga.
Isak was not in the crowd to see himself named in the Professional Footballers' Association's Team of the Year on Tuesday, instead staying away and publishing his statement on Instagram Stories. It claims that people at Newcastle promised him that he could leave this summer, and that they had known about his intentions for a long time.
It goes on to say that these promises have been 'broken', and that the 'relationship' with his club cannot continue. A Newcastle United club statement shortly afterwards refuted that any such promise had been made, and while there are conditions in which Isak would be allowed to leave, these have not been met - and are not expected to be met this summer.
Isak's escalation has done little to deter some fans from wanting Liverpool to make a second bid for the Swedish international. Reader Defer28 says: "Signing the best players and creating competition is only positive.
"Anyone that thinks otherwise doesn’t have the correct mindset. We want to be the best team in Europe, so we have to keep signing the best players, Isak is one of them. I hope we sign him, he will only make us better."
Bluesaredeluded is feeling bullish: "You can't blame the lad for wanting to play for the most successful team in the history of English footy. Compared to his current one which just won the lesser trophy, after a 70-year wait for any trophy."
Ja31son writes: "What have Liverpool done wrong? There's been speculation for months, we talked up an offer, Newcastle refused it, now Liverpool are waiting for Newcastle to say we're ready to sell. Then LFC will go in with another of 130 mill plus add ons. It's Newcastle who has broken promises to Isak, now he wants to move because of that. Point the finger of blame to NUFC and Isak."
Bluebon agrees that it's a mess of Newcastle's own making: "Newcastle United have only themselves to blame. If Newcastle released Alexander Isak earlier before Liverpool procured Ekitike then maybe Liverpool would not have pursue for Ekitike, with Isak at Liverpool already."
Sky Sports discounted Premier League and EFL package
This article contains affiliate links, we will receive a commission on any sales we generate from it. Learn more
Content Image
Content Image
Others are less sure that this can be a successful transfer for the Reds now. Dangster writes: "I know we’re going to buy him, but he has a massive target on his back now, and we don’t want that kind of negativity. I don’t want our club to be disliked or targeted and that’s what will happen."
Teodor says: "Second expensive striker like Isak will destroy harmony in the team, and one of the Hugo or Isak will want to leave. No one of two will want to sacrifice their season as a backup, or out of position as a winger."
On our Facebook page, Jon Needham says: "As a life long Red, I was excited at the prospect of signing Isak when we first offered. However, the current situation is a poor reflection on the player and his agent. At the end of the day he has 3 years left on his contract and that should mean something. I would also question whether the player is now a good fit for the Anfield dressing room where no player is bigger than the club - the spirit at Anfield is very much based on this principle and that of community.
"Arne will need some cast iron assurances from the player before we consider progressing, no matter how great a player he is - it is a real shame this is being played out the way it is in the media!"
Chris Seeney writes: "Isak is a 'nice to have', not a essential. If he’s available go and get him, if not I’m pretty sure other targets have been identified that are available. Let’s just draw a line under this whole saga and move on."
Have your say! Will Isak be a Liverpool player by the end of the transfer window? Comment below, and join in on the conversation.