geordiebootboys.com

‘Flabbergasted’: Alan Shearer finally responds to Alexander Isak’s Newcastle statement

Newcastle United legend Alan Shearer has made his feelings known on Alexander Isak’s bombshell statement, suggesting the club made promises regarding his future.

With confirmation that he was not attending the PFA awards gala, Alexander Isak felt as though he had to say something about the ongoing transfer saga.

Isak stated that promises had been made to him over his future. Whether it was about a new contract or a move away is unknown, but his words forced Newcastle United to reply with a statement soon after.

PIF broke tradition to respond to Isak’s statement, something which they rarely do in any of their business ventures, suggesting they feel very strongly about the club.

While the feeling among insiders is still that Newcastle will not sell Isak this summer, it remains to be seen exactly what will happen with the 25-year-old, who is currently training away from his teammates.

Alan Shearer has been highly critical of Isak over the last couple of weeks, and his feelings have now reached a boiling point in response to the Sweden international’s statement.

Alexander Isak meets Newcastle United Legend Alan Shearer at the Newcastle United training facility.

Photo by Serena Taylor/Newcastle United via Getty Images

Alan Shearer asks questions after Alexander Isak’s Newcastle United statement

Shearer thinks there is no comparison between Isak and Trent Alexander-Arnold, who got his move away from the Premier League for Real Madrid this summer, with the Newcastle legend stating that Alexander-Arnold still played for the Reds during his transfer saga.

Isak has not made an appearance for Newcastle since May, having missed the entirety of pre-season due to the transfer saga and a thigh problem. It is clear now that Isak is fully fit, and he is outright refusing to play for the Magpies until he secures his move away.

MORE NEWCASTLE STORIES

Now set to miss the clash against Liverpool on Monday, Shearer has made his feelings known about Isak’s damning statement on Tuesday evening.

“It’s very sad after what should have been Newcastle kicking on after winning their trophy and finishing in the Champions League spot,” He said on the Rest is Football.

“It should have been a great pre-season for them, but obviously it’s been overshadowed by this and other signings they couldn’t get through the door.

“I was flabbergasted at his statement. Obviously, because he couldn’t attend the PFA awards, he and his representatives felt that it was the best he needed to put something out. But that was just chucking petrol on the fire. I mean, it was just bizarre, wasn’t it, to say that someone had agreed verbally with him or his agent. I mean, you’re in football for goodness sake. I would have a look at the agent if I was him to say ‘why on earth have you let me sign a six-year contract with no get-out clause?’.

“You need something in writing! When he was in a strong position when he was when they were paying £60-odd million for him on a six-year deal. Then there is no get-out clause. You know as well as I do, we’ve all been in the game long enough. You can’t just accept if someone says (the promise made to Isak).

“And by the way, who was it? What did they say? And when was it? That would be the next question.

“But you can’t just accept and say ‘ok at the end of the season, we might perhaps agree to let you go verbally. Football doesn’t work like that. We’ve all been in it long enough. We know how it works.”

Alan Shearer gets his Alexander Isak rant spot on

Had Shearer been a Newcastle player in 2025, he would surely have been in Isak’s ear, telling him to get a grip and play for another season before getting a move with some decorum. However, Isak clearly wants to do things a different way and is keeping away from the first team to get the move he is so keen on.

Newcastle needed Isak in their draw at Aston Villa last weekend, and they will need him now more than ever against Liverpool on Monday.

Shearer is somebody who understands the club from top to bottom, having played there for over a decade and managed shortly after his career was over. He would have never let a situation like this happen on his watch, and his rant on the podcast is clear proof of that.

Isak could have become a legend just like Shearer on Tyneside, but he will be lucky if he wins back the trust of the fans after his actions over the last month.

Eddie Howe has kept the door open for Isak’s return to the first-team squad, but it will take a lot more for him to regain the fans’ backing at St James’ Park.

Read full news in source page