Photo by Serena Taylor/Newcastle United via Getty Images
Photo by Serena Taylor/Newcastle United via Getty Images
Alexander Isak is not going to return against Liverpool on Monday night, but another Newcastle United player could.
Ahead of Monday night’s game, Eddie Howe has confirmed that Alexander Isak will be absent.
That should come as no surprise to Newcastle United fans following Isak’s statement on Tuesday night.
The Magpies will be without their star striker for the second Premier League game in a row, but will have a much stronger midfield against Liverpool.
Eddie Howe speaks to Joe Willock during Newcastle United's pre-season friendly against Arsenal.
Photo by Pakawich Damrongkiattisak/Getty Images
Earlier this week, Joe Willock was spotted back in training after suffering an injury in pre-season.
Ahead of Newcastle United vs Liverpool, Howe has stated that the 26-year-old has trained ‘really well’ this week and is ‘looking good’ ahead of Monday night’s match at St James’ Park.
“Joe trained on Tuesday and Wednesday,” he said.
“Small part on Tuesday, bigger session on Wednesday. He trained really well. Great to see him back so early.
“When he went down in the game [against Team K League], I thought he was going to be out longer-term. It didn’t look a good injury with the way he went down.
“Credit to him. [He is] back fit and looking good.”
Willock’s return is a timely one, as the Magpies looked short of attacking options on the bench against Aston Villa last weekend.
It is also important for Willock, as the last thing he needs is another long-term injury given his fitness record over the past couple of seasons.
Another Newcastle United midfielder set to face Liverpool
Willock is not the only midfielder who could be added to the Newcastle United squad on Monday night.
Jacob Ramsey is in line to make his Toon debut, having signed from Aston Villa.
Howe has confirmed that the 24-year-old is available to face Liverpool, admitting that the Magpies’ latest summer signing has made a positive impression in training.
Howe said: “He’ll be available. We’ve still got training sessions to go before the game but he’s in a good place and has looked really impressive in his first couple of days. Really, really good technically, very intelligent and I think he’ll add a lot to the team. He has standout qualities.”
Ramsey is unlikely to start for Newcastle, with the midfield trio of Bruno Guimaraes, Sandro Tonali and Joelinton expected to continue together.
Elsewhere, Anthony Gordon is set to start up front for the second game in a row. With Isak unavailable and no new striker arriving, it will be up to the 24-year-old to lead the line against the club he nearly joined 12 months ago.